Simulator crashes

Hello,

I have been using the Simulator of V7.9.9 for a while (WIN10) and it was “stable”.

Now I was curious and switched to V8.0.0-rc2 (see version info below) and sometimes while “clicking around” in the simulator KiCad terminates completely.
Im sorry but I can NOT tell how to provoke this intentionally !

From that moment on KiCad will always terminate when I click on the simulator icon in the schematics editor !
However, I can stop this by deleting the .wbk file. Then the simulator window will complain but start and I can create a new .wbk .

Then everything will begin again…

Strange thing is: If I keep a copy of the .wbk BEFORE the crash and replace the “crashed” version this won t help. It seems the simulator NEEDS the process to create a new file ?!

Any Ideas ?

Application: KiCad x64 on x64

Version: 8.0.0-rc2-399-gba25f881c6, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.4
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 8.3.0
FontConfig 2.14.2
libcurl/8.5.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.3

Platform: Windows 10 (Erzeugungsversion 19045), 64-bit Edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Feb 7 2024 06:53:17
wxWidgets: 3.2.4 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.83.0
OCC: 7.7.1
Curl: 8.5.0-DEV
ngspice: 42
Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Build settings:

I can’t reproduce the crashing (Windows nightly of today) by opening several Eeschema files, “clicking around” or running simulations.

Is this happening with a specific circuit input only? If yes, could you zip and upload the project, so that I can run it here?.

During installation, did you allow sending crash data to Sentry? This would allow anonymous debugging, at leat finding the crash source in the code, as your input file of course is not made available.

simVWL5026_UVLO.zip (11.3 KB)

Hi, thank you for your answer !

I have attached my file. It is a very simple test to evaluate undervoltage conditions for a bigger circuit. So no technical secrets to be hidden.
The simulation models I am using are included.

I can not be sure if there are external reasons for this problem. I use this Version on a company PC with lots of hidden background SW.
Right now I tried with a LOCAL copy (of the project, KICad is also on c:) on drive c: , same behaviour.

Oh, yes I allowed the crash report but I don t know if our network will deliver it to the outside ?

Your input file crashes my KiCad as well.

I will have a closer look a.s.a.p.

it is good to hear this is reproducible !

Again, many thanks for your helpfulness and speed !

There is a simple fix:

Look at voltage source V1. Its value should be 4.3, not 4,3 (dot versus comma).

Delete the *.wbk and run the simulation again.

This is of course no excuse for the crash, which should never happen. I will have another look.

Oh my god, I apologize for this beginners failure.
I have SW that needs “.” and other that needs “,” . I will test immediately !

A failure Message/reminder would indeed be nice ! Thank You !

Sorry, Kicad crashes with . or , !
But maybe I have to delete .wbk one more time - stand by !
No, this won t work, actually, simulation does not start at all.
There must be something else ?

OK, I created a new project and copied only the content of the schematic. Now it works again with a mix (!) of “.” and “,” !
I am completely clueless !
I may post again if I can offer some better information !!

There seems to be a bug in Eeschema.

I will provide a bug report.

Done, see 8.0RC2 User-provided simulation project crashes KiCad (#16912) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

2 Likes

Moin,

I am no SW-Guy but from the error code I saw I assumed this could be related to my use of customized plot axis.
I simply deleted these settings from the .wbk file and my project seems OK.

But as soon as I use Y-axis settings the crash returns and stays !

I remove the lines again : KiCad runs without any other change.
Seems you have found the root of evil. That was Service far above any commercial product !

1 Like

In today’s nightly the issue has been fixed.

2 Likes