Set up a project with more than one PCB

I am dealing with a tiny little application consisting of a processor board and a sensor board. My question:
How would one handle this properly?
Currently I see two possibilities:

• 2 different KiCad projects. Technically all simple and would do the job. Although one feels that as long as it is one application, it should somehow … be one KiCad project
  • 1 project, 1 board, both parts separated by a paneling (V-paneling, in the given case).

Thanks!

1 Like

This is a recurring question.

Which leads to my older thread:

But as long as the projects are easy to split, then just using two separate projects is probably the best way. You can also export a 3D model of the “Sensor PCB” and use that for the bigger PCB.

1 Like

Hello Paul,

thank you very much for your quick reply.
I will take your advice and use 2 projects, but I plan to play a bit with the “Multi PCB Project Idea” once I have stable designs.

Thank you,
Tarik

For me the most against that solution is that I have to use separate GND and VCC symbols at both parts of PCB if I don’t want to left some not connected lines to get no DRC errors.
Because of this for me one KiCad project = one PCB.

Hi All
Try a different perspective… If you look at "DirtyPCB or “pcbgogo” you have a 100mm x 100mm board size for $5. If you panel 2 boards, it goes up to $36 … so If it was me, I’ld always do 2 separate PCB’s, pcbgogo will ship the 2 boards together so you don’t pay extra freight charges.
If you ever go commercial with the product, then the PCB/PCA house will panel it up to suit their machines.
If you don’t mind cutting them yourself, then you can stick both on the same board, you just need a hacksaw or guillotine to split them (but a routed edge is way nicer.)

Simon

This is my workflow for multi-board projects: https://github.com/yaqwsx/KiKit/blob/master/doc/multiboard.md

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.