Schematic for battery switch

Let me preface this by saying I’m very new to KiCad and circuit design in general.

I am designing a wireless split keyboard, and I’ve come to the point where I’m going to add the battery connection. It will be connected to a MSK12C02 switch. I found schematics for a similar approach I wanted to take, except that it uses a JST jack for connecting the battery. I don’t want to go down this route, and instead want to solder the battery directly to the board, and I am looking for feedback on the schematic for such an approach.

Below is the schematic I’ve created. I removed the JST jack and replaced it with two pads, where I intend to solder the wires for the battery.

Does this schematic look correct? And what is the purpose of the jumpers? If anything in this schematic could be simplified or is wrong, please let me know. Thanks.

What is the intended use of those square symbols for J1 and J2?

With the jumpers (JP1 though 4) you can switch the battery polarity to these square pads.

The pads are intended to be where I will solder the battery wires. Though its likely not the correct symbol to use for this, as they will probably be assigned to some sort of through hole where I can solder the wires, at least I think thats how its done?

So if I understand correctly, the jumpers are there as a failsafe? If I were to solder the battery wires incorrectly or a manufacturing issue that causes the polarity to be flipped.

So J1 will be positive and J2 will be the negative of a battery and what was there before was a 2 Pin JST connector, so far ? but if you had jumpers 4 and 1 installed the battery would be short circuit ? if JP3 was connected J1 would be short to ground (GND) what am I missing please ?
:mouse:

It seems that schematic looks correct, but we don’t understand how is this circuit intended to work.
If J1 and J2 are for battery to be connected than together with BT1 you have here two batteries (I hope that BAT+ is the battery voltage output from this circuit and not the input from third battery.
So it looks that thanks to JP1…JP4 you can:

• connect J1/J2 battery with BT1 battery in parallel making their capacity being summed (provided they both have the same voltage),
  • connect BT1 in serie with J1/J2 battery and short that serie making batteries to be discharged as fast as possible (fire not excluded),
  • short each battery separately by connecting their both pins to GND,
  • other results as 4 jumpers = 16 combinations.

The circuit is intended to power a Nice!Nano MCU which will power a split mechanical keyboard. The PCB for this keyboard is reversible, so i can solder all components on one side for the left half, and the other for the right half. This might be why there are 4 jumpers, two on each side of the PCB. If you want to take a look at the project for yourself (and as I am not allowed to embed more than one image per post), you can find it here: GitHub - kristiansordal/kskeebs: PCB and Case designs for a split 36-key keyboard

This image demonstrates what the original schematic from where I borrowed mine looks like:

So my goal is to have a circuit, that when routed correctly on the PCB, allows for a battery, along with a switch to be connected in such a way that it can be on either side of the PCB, while still powering the MCU.

I don’t think you are missing anything really. It is very possible I’ve botched the circuit design so it makes no sense. I included an image showing the original circuit in my reply to Piotr. The image below shows one of the sides of the PCB from where I borrowed the design, to give a better illustration of the routing

You can easily change it. Read:

This is important information that can help to understand your problem.

Understanding the main idea I still don’t understand why you really have 4 pads for battery.
There should be no problem with connecting the same battery at one or at second side using these square and round pads. I don’t know what for are these oval pads. Do you assume other kind of battery. If so then instead of using the same pads for connecting battery on one and second side and crossing wires with jumpers I would consider using separate oval pads for connecting battery at one side and at second side and make right connections with no jumpers.