Rotate pin number and pin description

Hi,
when I worked on my second test board, I could’t find how to rotate only the pin numbers and pin descriptions without the pin traces. I would like to turn the symbols 2 and GND for the L7805 and 16 and VCC for the MAX232.2019-07-10_180447
Best regards from France

You can edit the part in the symbol editor and save it in a personal library in your own user space.

I tried that but I didn’t find the possibility to rotate only a pin number or/and a pin descriptor without turning also the pin wire

Move, Edit, Rotate are manipulating the three qualities as a whole :frowning:

I am using

Application: kicad
Version: (5.1.2)-2, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 32 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.68.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.61.1
Compiler: GCC 7.3.0 with C++ ABI 1011

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

What can I do else ?

Best regards

OK. I was wondering if I misunderstood what you wanted. The numbers and descriptions don’t seem to be separately editable as far as I can tell.

As of 5.1.2 the number does not appear turnable, however! you can set ~ for the name (GND) and put a text to your liking inside the symbol.

As a crutch you could set the pin length to zero, turn it accordingly and draw lines to reflect the actual connection. Not pretty though.

Screenshot%20from%202019-07-11%2010-45-27

What happens if one then uses the X and Y Hotkey commands on that symbol?

They still work as intended.

Care to share a screen grab?

And maybe a screen grab from PcbNew as well?

That should do.

The edit form.

The rest is over to you. The most effective way to find Kicad’s abilities is to keep playing with it.

Cheers

So I reduced the pin length to zero and I added the two wires and a new text GND but I find the result not very pleasant :wink:

A good surprise was the fact that dragging the symbol with the hotkey G moves also the little pin wires on pin 2 :slight_smile:

Is the ability to move around the pin descriptor or the pin number independently from the pin on the “to do” wish list ?

Kind regards

Don’t know exactly what’s on the feature list right now.
The master tag via git exhibits the same behaviour as far as I can tell.
If I have some time I’ll have a look at the code and see how hard it is to add that behaviour.

As far as I can see it would require file format changes and that won’t happen for the current schematic/symbol file format. The new one will come for 6.0. It’s better to file a bug report so that it can be considered for inclusion.