Pin Number and Pin Name properties

Is there any progress to this almost 5 years old topic ?.

I miss the possibility to manually correct rotation and position of pin numbers and pin names in each used instance (after placed in schematic). We can do this with the reference designator and value property but pin name and pin number are locked to the symbol graphics. This is only some “beautifying” after symbols are rotated or mirrored mainly with long names in high density schematics.

There is a open gitlab issues for this topic, but it got not so much likes.

1 Like

“What the shell soaks up when you’re young, it smells it when you get old.” - not sure if translation enough well.
This is not logically justified but since DOS times and my PC having only 640k RAM and no HDD (only two 360kB floppies) I’m used to not extend RAM usage more then really necessary.
Memory needed to remember positioning of value and reference is much smaller that needed to also remember positioning for all pin numbers and texts. IC has one reference and value text and sometimes planty of pins.
Processing time needed to draw each symbol at schematic will also be proportionally higher if each pin number and text coordinates would have to be separately found. I don’t know if at some schematic complication level that delay can be noticed by user.
Generally I doubt if the advantage of individually positioning each pin texts is worth such memory and time use extension?
Personally I never even thought about such need, but I know that progress without visionaries would not exist.

It is and our technology is always improving. Since CPM times using Z80 with 64k total address space it is always better to draw the PCBs with a pencil and produce it using decals. This tools never have a problem with wrong rotations.

Still wonder about no votes for this issue. To make sure I understand everything correct, attached is a diagram of Motorolas popular 34063 regulator. If you like to generate a symbol what shows the intrinsic block circuit, its hardly possible to place a pin name inside as it always crosses the signal line.

Neither in symbol editor, nor in circuit diagram it is possible to change placement and rotation of pin names and pin numbers. The page from 34063 data sheet is not a nice circuit diagram style, but it shows typical use for corrected text positions.

Where are all the advocates of beauty and elegance for circuit diagrams like the Elektor Style Library ?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.