Replicate board layout from image (Reverse engineer comodore C64 board)

You need to edit the pads in the footprint of your edge connector. Every pad has a type. I guess it is currently SMD. Change that to Connector.

In addition there are some ticks on the right of that dialog. (One per possible layer)
Just make sure non of the Paste layers are selected.

you where right… it was set to SMD… changed it with text editor and also removed the paste layers

what about mask layers?

The mask layer is needed. Otherwise your pads will be covered by soldermask. Which is a thin isolating film.

ahh… and yes it worked… now i just need to rinse and repeat for the cassette port

so it mask layers work oposite of what i think? with the checkmark for mask the mask is removed from the pad… with the checkmark removed the mask is on the pad?

The mask layer contains the holes in the soldermask.

This might be worth reading: What is the meaning of the layers in pcb_new and in the footprint editor?

to me that says that with the mask layer enabled it will remove the soldermask on the pads

but i will read the link tomorrow… time to get some sleep

Well a hole in the soldermask is where the soldermask is removed :wink:

The words used are a bit confusing. It’s called “solder mask” but it has only little to do with soldering per se. It’s also called “solder resist”. The physical substance on a PCB board protects copper from solder paste or tin. By default it’s applied everywhere. The solder mask layer in the software tells where it’s not applied. Unlike the paste layer. So, when a pad has the mask layer on (in the software, it is), there will be no solder mask layer on the physical board and the copper is exposed.

1 Like

hehee. i had a faint idea that the wording was a bit oposite depending on how you look at it

Hey Bo.
Checking in.
I’m also a new KiCAD user, tried it a little in 2008 but the learning curve was a bit steep at the time so I got hooked on E******D, … I mean another CAD program instead.

The mask layer defines all openings in the solder mask, so it’s inverted compared to copper traces/drawings.
In the current example it’s not enough to just have a mask opening around the rectangular pad, the whole edge card connector is supposed to be free from solder mask reason for it is probably that it may wear off (or maybe they just needed to keep it away when electroplating the gold?).
Anyway it is as it is, if mimicking the original it should be solder mask free.
I think it’s easiest just to draw a filled rectangle on F.Mask and B.Mask over the area where there should be no mask (usually green). The “Add filled zones” tool (below “Add tracks and vias”-button) solves that rather easily.

In the title of this thread “Commodore” is mis-spelled. :wink:

1 Like

about the spelling that was not me… some of the mods did edit my title for me :smiley:

let’s keep it for our amusement :slight_smile:

another tricky bit as i get along…

could this negative text be made by adding a fill zone on the top copper and then add a text on top of that but on the keepout layer?

Negative text is a whole own topic :slight_smile:
See other threads on this.

Another idea, could be to use the ‘plot white’ feature in Gerber files, however that would need manual editing.
(use a unique width for the negative text, so it is separated inside the gerber
%LPC*% = Laser plot clear
… text lines…
%LPD*% = Laser plot dark (default)
)

You could also make an image file (bmp, png, jpeg) and import it on the copper layer as footprint using Bitmap2Component. While importing you can select if you want it straight or inverted.

got it all traced in inkscape so no worries, i even figured the font used

now i want to get the resistors right, i do have them as wrl files with the correct color rings but not the correct leg pitch so they look stretched

i got a step file of a resistor and now i just need to figure how to change the color rings, not an expert in F360 yet :smiley:

having issues getting the logo on to the board

since bitmap to component only takes bmp or png i have to export from inkscape

the png comes out with the correct dimensions

and when loaded in to bitmap to compent i get the same just in mm

but when i open the footprint in footprint editor only of of the numbers show up

i zoomed out as far i could and you can see some text at the lower right and upper left

the png looks like this when open and zoomed out

Have you tried this converter? I have not tried it but it is advertised as converting Inkscape SVG to Kicad_mod and might deal with your situation.

Svg2Shenzen might also be an interesting alternative

https://www.gabetaubman.com/blog/posts/kicad-custom-footprint/

1 Like

the svg2shenzen is the best option as i run windows and have limited knowledge, but during the save i got this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “export.py”, line 726, in
_main()
File “export.py”, line 722, in _main
e.affect()
File “C:\Program Files\Inkscape\share\extensions/inkex.py”, line 283, in affect
self.effect()
File “export.py”, line 301, in effect
self.processExportLayer()
File “export.py”, line 450, in processExportLayer
f.write(kicad_drill_string)
TypeError: expected a string or other character buffer object