Replicate board layout from image (Reverse engineer comodore C64 board)

well i ended up with a project filed and a board file called drawing, guess that means ok

the only difference is that i choose to save in my user document folder and i did not disable more layers than there was before

so i tried to export as pcb and i just get an empty board

if i choose to export as module i get 0 byte files, so i think that one is ruled out

will read up on mtl/svg2mod

and see if i can not figure how to use it

tried that to but ran in to a problem where it says no module named svg

the error was raised as an issue on github but the OP did never get help

so i hope that me reporting it too and showing that i did run the installer will get some response

i decided to fix the issue i have with scaling of some resistors

i found a step file and adjusted it for correct pitch

and then i did the color rings but it does not show up correct in kicad

a 0 ohm in fusion360:

i export it to step and in kicad it looks like this:

same with a 6,8Kohm

what could be wrong this time?

i would have attached the step file but cant figure how

I could be way off base here, but the striped pattern you are seeing reminds me of what happens with two coincident surfaces of different colors. The renderer gets confused as to which one to use. (Or maybe the surfaces alternate with the interference pattern of rounding errors?) Try making the colored rings slightly larger diameter than the body (not enough to see a step, but enough to mathematically show one over the other).

The term you are looking for is “Z-fighting” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting

yep, the base model of the resistor does only have 2 rings at either end so i have to create 2 rings 0.01 mm thicker

but whis even the base color different?

It probably has something to do with the surface colors and properties (reflection, specular, etc). @maui may be able to help describe how his StepUp plugin for FreeCad maps surface colors when exporting to WRL for KiCad.

but i’m not using wrl’s??

partly solved the problem in that the base color is now correct but 2 the rings are not

and the 2 extra rings are 0.01mm larger than the body, should be just enough to give it a different look

Ok, I’m switching back to lurker mode. I’m out of my depth because I didn’t think that step even had textures/colors options.

it does

that one is a step and comes with kicad

/Resistor_THT.3dshapes/R_Array_SIP8.step

a small thought that i have not given much time

but wonder if it would help put out a bounty on creating something that automatic could make 3d shapes for resistors based on value and pitch in footprint… that would need a few new field where you spec the main body of the resistors

prob. so complicated that it would cost an kidney so its more a brainfart than a thought

I thought that this project (which I linked to quite a few posts back) did that. There are also a load of pregenerated resistors with coloured bands for different values in a zip archive.
These are vrml files so not necessarily dimensionally precise but I presume you would like the colours to improve the rendered view. You can associate your footprint with more than one model and KiCad is clever enough to use the correct one depending on rendering intent.

i used that about 7 months ago but the pitch of the resistor is 5mm to short

so yes i do have the wrl files but they do not match the board

and yes i could prob edit the wrl files but i dont know how i can do that easy

but same project you linked to do have an step file and it took me 10 sec to change the pitch and another 30 sec to add the 2 extra rings

and then it prob to me half an hour at slow pace generating individual step files with the right colours

Creating a board layout to replicate the old C64 motherboard is a great idea in itself and I hope that you will make it available for others when your done. In fact, you could even add upgrades or make a smaller surface mount version of the board from your schematic, perhaps even with upgrades and improvements. However, if its just a damaged board you have, its unlikely that it cant be repaired. even if its broken clean in half. Virtually any damage to a double layer board can be repaired with some epoxy and copper foil.

1 Like

i have allready published it: https://github.com/boelle/326298-Rev-A-Kicad

just adding eyecandy, and i need to figure how to add the logo stuff too

might experiment with dividing up the single svg i have but makes placing the things slightly more painfull

2 Likes

in fact the logo stuff mentioned in post #116 is the only thing left before i can order the boards

and i would not mind comments if something is wrong compared to the org board, pictures of the board is here: https://github.com/boelle/326298-Rev-A-pictures

figured the logo issue,

i took the exported png and converted it to black and white bitmap

now i just need to get the scaling right

Q: i did google this, how do i move things on the eco1 layer to the f.cu layer?