Removing soldermask from all objects

Kicad 8.0.3, Windows 10

Please forgive me if this has been asked and solved before. But I am new to Kicad and have only six designs under the belt. I am working on my seventh design - a ruler with various information and footprints on it. I want it to be made with a black soldermask with ENIG prints. The reason for not using the silkscreen is to make it more durable.

So far I have placed footprints and edited them, so the relevant parts are in the copper layer. Likewise I have drawn schematics etc. in the copper layer. Maybe this was a bad idea, because when I remove the soldermask for the entire surface, of course, the PCB is no longer black but FR4-greenish.

Is there a clever way to remove the soldermask on all objects, or at least one at a time, e.g. right click and remove the soldermask? Or do I have to draw soldemask negative objects over all objects to make it a tight fit?

PadDiy

Drawn schematics in the copper layer? I think you mean drawn tracks. Soldermask is removed from pads but stays on tracks. So I think you’re asking if soldermask can be removed from tracks. I have no idea about that. What other objects do you have in mind? Graphics and text?

Maybe a screenshot of your situation will be better than words.

As this is not a circuit, why don’t you simply copy the topside copper Gerber and rename it as the solder mask?

2 Likes

I do think he means schematics. Maybe something like a NE555 example circuit or basic opamp things to put on the ruler as a memory jogger.

On a PCB, the “green stuff” is the solder mask. You can change the colors in KiCad, and you can order the colors you want. Both solder mask and Silkscreen is pretty durable (but not infinite). ENIG also wears.

You can draw on the margin layer (with non zero line thickness. You can also use rule area’s or put “aperture pads” (pads without pin number and no copper) directly in the footprint.

There are more options, but it also depends on what you want to make. Posting a screenshot may help us to help you better.

Ah I see what you’re trying to do. Here’s another way: fill the entire copper layer and put your objects on the soldermask layer.

Thanks for the feedback.

Here are some clarifications and pictures of the design.

“Schematics”: true, it is not schematics in a KiCad sense. It is sample circuits as paulvdh says.

KiCad PCB editor view

Where I in the production want the PCB with black soldermask and ENIG “print”.

JLCPCB 2D view with the soldermask partially removed (right side)

You want all the writing, lines/tracks and footprints (including their screen print outline) all etched in copper and plated; and you then want only the bare parts of the PCB, with no copper, covered with black soldermask.

So, using your first illustration: everything coloured light green, white and yellow is plated and only the dark green (no copper areas) has black soldermask.

Is that correct?

Yes that is correct.

It’s not necessary to remove the copper under the soldermask since it is not visible.

As this is an aesthetic item not a functional one thought needs to be give to what has the better resolution when being manufactured to get the best looking result.

Is it the copper detail during etching or the application of the solder resist ? obviously this will depend of the manufacturer . . .

If its the copper then maybe the solder resist should have clearance around the copper, if its the solder resist then it can be size for size with the copper.

True.
I was trying to establish exactly what was the result the OP wanted.

The question now is how to not have soldermask on everything except the dark green in the first illustration.
If there is an ability to do that, @RaptorUK 's question then needs an answer.

As I already said

Draw the graphics and text on the soldermask layer. Edit the footprints to move the copper pads to the soldermask layer. Then everything that is to be visible has no soldermask and the copper with finish will show through.

I’m going blind as well as silly.
My apologies Mr Feline.

You can export the copper layer to a DWG or SVG file, and then import it again on a solder mask layer. I did a short test and it seems to work, but I am not entirely sure if this is the sort of result you want.

During PCB manufacturing, there will always be some kind of misalignment. Due to this it may not as pretty as you would wish.

For the rest, design of such a ruler is personal. I do not like rulers where the zero position is not on the corner of the ruler itself. If you move the texts a bit, then at least “others” can sand off the the excess if you want to keep the edge for your own.

Why put on both SOT-23, SOT23-5 and SOT23-6 They are so much alike (apart from the pin count that having a size reference for all seems not very useful. Instead, add on SMA, SMB, SMC and maybe some other diode footprints. Those diode footprints do confuse me a bit each time.

Lot’s of people have designed their own rulers, have you looked at some others for ideas to adopt on your own?

And as @RaptorUK commented: the resolution of soldermask isn’t as good as copper etching or printing.

My experience has shown vice versa. Maybe it depends on the used technology

Thanks for all the input.

Indeed the manufacturing process may have a say in all this too. I have written two emails to manufacturers and awaiting their answer.

Another idea may be to make it in aluminium. The price difference is negligible compared to ENIG. A third idea is etched steel which is even more durable but at a higher price.

Why three different SOT-23? Because the idea is to show, and make them remember, differences in “similar” devices and make sure that attention is paid to datasheets and details.

I’ll be back.

1 Like

Here is the email I sent
…
I am in the process of designing ruler. Please see the attached images.

What I want is black soldemask and ENIG on FR4. But what is the best way for you to have the design made? I want good quality when it comes to the precision and durability:

• Is it best to put the tracks, footprint and art-work in the copper layer and then remove the soldermask on the copper piece by piece, or
  • Make the tracks, footprint, art-work etc. in the silkscreen layer, or
  • A third way?

Alternatively what about aluminium with black print?
…
and below are the answers.

ALLPCB
Black soldemask and ENIG on FR4 is a standard requirments that we can meet.
You just need to create a gerber file with solder mask layer, silkscreen layer, GKO, copper layers and drilling layer will be fine for our fabrications!
The ENIG does not need to show in the gerber file as it can be selected as the parameters when you raised the order on our platform.

JLCPCB
We recommend utilizing the first method you suggested: designing the required features in the copper layer, choosing black PCB color, followed by ENIG treatment.
This method ensures both the aesthetic appeal of the black soldermask and the enhanced durability provided by ENIG.
Furthermore, when placing your order, please ensure to select “Confirm Production File” to verify the accuracy of your design specifications.

This step is crucial in guaranteeing that the final product meets your exact requirements.
…
I will review my design for errors and probably place an order next Friday.

1 Like

For many years we didn’t used silkscreen at all. I was writing information texts at PCB by simply writing it at soldermask so getting gold texts without breaking my GND zone continuity.
For some your arts you can consider not making it at copper, but only at soldermask (with copper zone under it).