Re create an old part from picture

I have an old car (Renault 5 GT Turbo) and I need to repair the dashboard, especially the flex PCB behind.

To do this job I go through CAD Software to redesign all the “copper tracks”

I have made a first prototype with a laser cutting machine to confirm the dimension

Now I need to produce the final part. For that I will used an CNC3018 updated and a small sheet (0.1mm) of copper glued to a small sheet of plastic (0.175 to 0.25 I don’t know).

But to do that I need to convert my CAD file into gerber one to be compatible with Candle GRBL. For that I imagine to use Kicad 6.0 by importation of different DXF but … because I have but. I can’t achieve to do what I want because I don’t know how I need to do.

I achieve to import DXF in the correct layer but I need to “paint” the empty area and I don’t know how I need to do to be sure that at the end I have the “copper tracks”

Thank you for your help

Candle uses Gcode (not Gerber)

You have at least Two options (I’ve done both).

#1) You can use your DXF file in FreeCAD’s ‘Path’ workbench (it’s a CNC workbench). Just select the desired lines and use ‘Outside’ option for milling

#2) You can use Kicad’s Image Converter to get a Footprint from a Nice, Clean Image then, Edit the Footprint (.mod) file to Change layer from (the one you selected in Image editor) to a Cu layer.
Then, use a Gcode app such as CopperCAM to get the Gcode.

(Note; I’m away for most of the day and will check back later…)

Then, Use Candle… Some images below…

No 1 is straight-forward so, not posting image

No 2
Showing converted image on Eco1 layer and Edited .mod to Cu
I did not fuss/bother to clean it (I’m in a hurry…)

I wouldn’t do #2 for many traces…

That said, here’s No2 in CopperCam using a smaller Not Cleaned up file Example but same process

Loaded into Candle

Thank’s for your feedback.

#1) I need to check because I have no more FreeCAD on my computer.

#2) That’s means that I need to use a jpg (or other picture format) ? So I need to do a double check to be sure of the seize or put a mark to check ?

I use FlatCam for Gcode conversion, I don’t know CopperCam maybe more powerfull

If your CNC3018 runs on GRBL, you can also use bCNC to run it. bCNC can directly import (multiple) .DXF files and turn them into G-code before sending them to GRBL, or you can save the G-code. bCNC can also add offsets for the mill radius and it has a bunch of other tools (such as adding tabs and multiple passes) to pre-process your G-code. bCNC has sort of similar functionality as the path workbench in FreeCAD, and I’ve used bCNC a few times with DXF files exported from FreeCAD. That was a few years ago. Maybe the path workbench in FreeCAD is now mature enough to use it instead.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.