Proper Footprint For Very Narrow Radial Lead Spacing?

I am trying to use a Nichicon UMA1V2R2MCD2 (Mouser 647-UMA1V2R2MCD2) 2.2 µF, 20%, 35 V dc, Aluminum electrolytic, radial leaded, capacitor. The lead spacing is very narrow at 1 mm ±0.3 mm and lead diameter of 0.4 mm. Mouser is now using an outfit called SamacSys (a British company) for graphic symbols, land patterns/footprints, and 3D renditions. I downloaded their file and found the footprint had overlapping pads. I wrote an e-mail to them and they changed their footprint but the pads still touch. I wrote another e-mail to SamacSys but have not had a reply.

How do I do a proper footprint? One way I see is to place the plated through hole pads further apart. This would be okay for hand insertion but machine insertion would be a problem. Another way would be to place the pads so that there is no copper on the side facing the other pad. Any suggestions or insights?
–Thanks, Larry

A datasheet link would be wonderful. Even better would be to show the relevant parts of the datasheet as a screenshot.

Just go to the Mouser website and enter the Mouser part number of 647-UMA1V2R2MCD2. This will take you to the part screen where you can click on the PDF datasheet icon that will open the Nichicon datasheet for the part.
–Larry

What about pads with drill 0.3mm and X-size 0.7mm?
Then speak to yourr manufacturer to check if there is enough ring. There is still a 0.3mm clearance, so try even 0.75mm X-size.

1 Like

You’re more likely to get people looking at it if you simply provide the link. Most here know how to search.

A 0.4mm lead and 0.3mm hole does not work

1 Like

A Forum member who expects a timely reply will demonstrate respect for other users by including a Datasheet Link , a polite member who has been raised properly will attach the datasheet e-uma-1218975.pdf (142.8 KB) and the supplicant who gets the most attention will include a relevant, legible, sketch or illustration.

(Do you feel guilty and ashamed yet?)
Dale

4 Likes

It looks like this component is just barely compatible with current practices for inexpensive, quick-turn boards. (Ref: Seeedstudio “PCB Design for Manufacture”, v1.1 )

Start with hole size for the component leads of 0.5mm (20 mils) diameter - and hope that manufacturing doesn’t complain that ths is too small. The pad around this hole must have an annular ring of 0.15mm (6 mils) or more. That leaves 0.2mm (8 mils) of spacing between the two pads. These values meet the minimum requirements for several (but not all) board fabricators.

Dale

2 Likes

I’ve used the UMA series caps in a few designs, but I remeber they were tough little buggers to solder. I guess thats what you get when you want subminiature… I will see if I can find the footprints, but I remember modifying a standard footprint. Make the pads oval so you have some more area to put your iron on.

2 Likes

My favourite low cost board maker can do 0.3mm holes, so a 0.5mm drill hole is easy enough, but you will need a oval or offset pad to get a chance of a good joint

1 Like

I was thinking that a 0.4mm lead in a 0.5mm hole is just barely usable for populating and soldering a PCB assembly - especially when tolerances result in fatter leads or narrower holes.

You and @Jules are correct that an offset oval (or rounded rectangle) pad will make manual soldering and rework much easier.

Dale

I am assuming manual insertion. Through hole auto insertion requires bigger holes.
The other parameter that you don’t see in the basic capabilities lists is hole to hole spacing. At these sizes there is a real risk of the hole breaking out.
You might be better off with 0.6mm holes, but increase the pitch to 1.2mm.
I guess these parts are a lower cost alternative to small tantalums.
2000 hours endurance at 85C is a heavy price to pay though

1 Like

Ref: Seeedstudio “PCB Design for Manufacture”, v1.1 , page 20, paragraph 56:

It’s a little bit intimidating to think that it took over 30 pages to define all of the things you should consider when designing a board!

Dale

1 Like

For essentially the same cost you could use a ceramic capacitor: Murata GRM188R6YA225MA12D
The ceramic cap has better electrical performance, although some applications depend on the series resistance of electrolytic capacitors to dampen resonances.

Dale

For that supplier, that works out as 0.3mm side of hole to side of hole, so 0.9mm centre to centre for 0.6mm holes. That means 1.0mm pitch/0.6mm dia is just OK

For all of those that have replied to my posting–a hearty thank you. The suggestions and documentation/resources are well received.
To: pedro–what is meant by “X-size”?
To: Dale (dchisholm)–yes, I have been thoroughly chastised, I’ll do better in the future. I will need to relearn the use of snippets. How did you get the red line around the info in your snippet? I have also seen yellow coloring used and wonder how that is done?

This PCB is for audio frequencies at room temperature with all parts of THT and will be hand inserted and hand soldered.

I am having a go around with Ultra Librarian and SamacSys about this part, both about the graphic symbol and especially about the land pattern/footprint.
–Regards, Larry

Any graphic program can do that. (After making a screenshot. Some programs can open pdf directly)

I personally mostly use inkscape (open source vector graphics editor) for creating similar things.

• It can open a single pdf page directly. (you choose which page on import.)
  • It has a number of drawign tools (like one would expect from a vector graphics program) And it does well with text.
  • One can use it to single out parts of a full page.
  • It can export to png which can be used here on the forum. (But also to pdf and of course svg which is its native format.)
1 Like

In the pad properties there is a field called Size X.

I use Greenshot for screen captures. It has a simple editor for marking up the capture
http://getgreenshot.org/

1 Like

ShareX seems to have that feature, too. ShareX is a bit complicated tool, but has everything you might ever need, including simple screencast feature (everybody who writes here or reports bugs should learn how to record screencasts!).