Post-v5 new features and development news

Hmm… good question. I didn’t know about that one.

I think I’m going to go back to “_” (and fix Find/Replace so that you can escape all of them en masse).

2 Likes

I think of this more as a footprint property than a viewer property. Trouble is the footprint reset will reset it to the library footprint’s settings, rather than to “all visible”.

Conceptually it might better fit into a sibling of Edit > Edit Text and Graphics Properties. If we added Edit > Edit Footprint Properties we could also do bulk changes to locked flags, footprint attributes, and footprint paste and mask settings…

Don’t know how difficult will become the program. If I recall right, the # character must be the first character of the reference in order to make a symbol not exported to the pcb.
And it is not usual to have a reference beginning with an underscore.

11 posts were split to a new topic: 3D Opacity Property

A post was merged into an existing topic: 3D Opacity Property

NB: the syntax for super/subscript has changed to ^{foo} and _{foo} (which allows us to both use more standard characters and to get rid of the checkbox to enable processing).

Here’s an example from one of my schematics:

FR_{-3dB} DC - 960KHz
Slew rate 60^{V}/_{uSec}

A_{OL} 83dB
A_{CL} 26dB
Stability margins 69º, 24dB
6 Likes

DRC violations now report source of constraint and amount constraint was violated by (where appropriate).

4 Likes

Keyboard shortcuts for toggle units, metric units and imperial units now work when a modal dialog has focus.

3 Likes

New schematic and symbol library file formats are now the default

2 Likes

The 3d opacity property (which discussion was moved elsewhere) is finally fully implemented. Now you can have alternative 3D models and transparency.

• “Show” really shows and hides the model, also in the board view
  • Opacity is also visible in the board

A nice or not so nice side effect of transparency is that it shows the internal construction of the model.

5 Likes

It should be possible to add an option to render or not the “internals”. If you want add a new issue request and assign it to me or flag me in the text.

1 Like

Default fields for new footprints generalised (mainly for library editors where a second ref on F_Fab is required).

Added via minimum annulus to Board Setup > Design Rules > Constraints and DRC.

Improved the legibility of the icons on that page a bit.

4 Likes

Syntax help for overbar, superscript, subscript and various bus definitions added to Text Properties and the various Label Properties.

1 Like

For the schematic and PCB placing tools (symbol / footprint), I am wondering if the behavior should be changed so the keyboard input is captured until you click elsewhere, currently if you go to place something, my expectation would be to immediately type and have it filter the results, instead it enacts keyboard shortcuts which can lock or crash the program,

Related to this, in a list of PCB components, the up / down arrow keys are captured by the 2D preview instead of navigating up and down the component list, not sure if this is expected, but seems counter intuitive,

These are normal wishes or feature requests which should go to the issue database, or in the relevant section here for user discussion first if you like.

Please try to keep this thread clean so that it can be read through to find new features and development news for 5.99 development.

Added options for pads and footprints to Keepout Areas.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Post-v5 selective exceptions

You can now print using arbitrary color themes (including background colors, if desired) from Eeschema:

And from PcbNew:

10 Likes

in pcbnew the context menu to select the visible set of layers is cleaned up and extended with:

• Front - / Back Assembly view
  • Inner Layers only

4 Likes