Post-v5 new features and development news

Could a moderator move the discussions about DRC to a new thread?

1 Like

Moved DRC discussion to a new thread

1 Like

Thanks David. Here’s the original message by Jeff:

This doesn’t work perfectly yet, there are problems with checkboxes and visibility. But the crashes which happened with the first iteration have been fixed.

1 Like

I believe the issues with the checkboxes and visibility (on MSW) were recently fixed. So if anyone is still getting them with a current nightly please let me know (or log a bug).

Cheers,
Jeff.

More hotkey definitions available for the 3D viewer. Shared commands (such as zoom in, zoom out) also now respect the hotkeys set for the rest of the suite.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Using 3d models as a replacement for the DRC courtyard check

Hopefully, the resistor calculator will be merged for V6

Really useful, nowadays I still use some personal Python / Matlab algorithm to this work.
Propose, if it is not already done: could have a button in each option line to “place” the calculated configuration. The focus change to Eeschema and the cursor will place the configuration with the connection (as happens with the parts).
Other idea: in the log write the maximum and minimum value reached with the resistor-solution and the nominal tolerance selected.

Something like this where it can find optimal resistor values from the e12/e24 series for a voltage divider would be my suggestion for a resistor tool.

Nice tool, this web site.
The “resistances to divide a voltage (to branch a current)” could use the maximum power rate desired to each resistors.
I think, when @janvi is release and tested for us. We could write some “improvement request” at Gitlab group.

2 Likes

The first version of my altium board importer was merged.

5 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: New string replacement options for kicad assets

Sadly the forum does not support duplicating a post so here the original comment by @JeffYoung that i moved to its own thread as it sparked a discussion.

2 Likes

Does anybody know if the new schematics format being introduced these days also includes cache of used symbols in the same file, or is this yet to be changed?

1 Like

3D model “preview” flag changed to “show” flag (and persisted in files). See Footprint Properties > 3D Settings.

2 Likes

Did I ever announce sub- and superscript for Eeschema? Use ‘^’ to signal superscript and ‘#’ to signal subscript. (You have to turn processing on in Schematic Setup since I didn’t want existing schematics to be reformatted.)

I’m not sure superscript is really that necessary, but subscript is used a lot by some.

2 Likes

Hmm, ‘_’ is a more common notation for subscript (see LaTeX etc). Is there a reason this wasn’t used/is it too late to change?

Yeah, that was my first choice too. However, since we don’t allow spaces in labels, a lot of schematics already have underscores in them and you’d have to escape all of them with “__”.

I also considered double-underscore for subscript, but it felt really weird for it to be backwards from ~ (overbar) and ~~ (escape for tilda).

2 Likes

How does the # play with the current “feature” of using that spezial character for indicating symbols not to be included in the BOM nor for exporting to pcbnew (power symbols, logos, …).

That’s nice!
Would it be possible to add a feature to reset all 3D-viewer models to visible (as a default option)?
Something added to the 3d-viewer ‘Preferences’ menu (which reset the view statement for SMD, TH and Virtual models)?
Particularly it would be useful to have a menu item to reset all 3d-models view option to visible as a different item from reset default settings, allowing to reset all 3d preview flags of model viewer without touching other parameters (i.e. board colors).
Preferences
— Reset to Default Settings
— Reset Visibility for all 3D models

reset-3d-viewer-settings