Possible naming clash in localized Linux Kicad 8.04

I’ve just upgraded Kicad in a Ubuntu 22.04 Linux using PPA repo.

Opening a simple SK filter which see, worked as charm in Kicad 6.0, the “default” one in Jammy Jellyfish, the simulation runs, but the simulation canvas in the message space left below shows:

Error: vector frequency not found!

And no signal can be plotted in the graph pane as the missing vector impeaches.

OTOH, I’ve found there is no easy way to check the simulation’s output! I mean the copious text file ngspice prints which would help to ascertain the guess of mine…

My locale is Brazilian Portuguese pt_BR.UTF-8.

Just to insure, although I already wrote that the circuit used to simulate OK, the netlist contains .probe alli, .save all and the .ac dec 10 1 1Meg directive in the schematic.

I’m trying ideas to circumvent this issue, but until now nothing came out of the rabbit hole. . .

TIA

Cesar Rabak

Additional information.

My coleagues, more knowledgeable of Linux, specially the bewildering world of frozen dependencies between SW versions and Ubuntu releases have “solved” my problem as follows:

In the package manager the libngspice-kicad was removed. The automatism from the packaging system installed instead libngspice0.

However, this particular shared library is old, (from the Ubuntu package repo itself, it reports “Version: 36+ds-1”), and the simulations fail with the MIFF message in line 0, well known in other threads of this forum.

Then, we got the Debian “bookworm” backport for the libngspice0 which is the 42+ds-2 version, and them simulation and ploting works again as should.

It seems that matching the shared library (system installed) with the version to which present Kicad is issued (I can see the mention to “ngspice 42” in the about pane), “solves” the problem, but I still would like to keep this as an issue, due the libngspice-kicad that gets installed as per the meta package kicad for 8.0.4 release.

Hope this helps,

Cesar Rabak

1 Like