A lot of excellent suggestions. I’ll do my best to implement what I can.
My plan was to have just a few of the parts added by the fab house. I am comfortable enough with smd soldering that I planned to do most of it myself. I put the caps and resistors on the back as I like the cleaner look of it. That is also why most of the traces are routed on the inner layers, just to hide them from view.
As for the TO-220, I have not been able to locate an SMD alternative.
Yes, the boxes around the different “groups” is quite abit of a pain, but I like them.
The back layer is a GND plane, or am I missing something?
the U designation on the U4 & U6 was assigned by whoever built the symbol. I got that from SnapEDA, I believe.
I was using that D pak schottky diode as it was what was suggested by the TI Power Designer I used to design the buck converters. And as designed it’s a 2.5A buck converter. (I found an alternative)
Also, the Electrolytic Cap on the buck converter was suggested by the TI Power Designer.
I had originally designed this on 2 layers but wanted a cleaner look so went with 4 to stuff the majority of the traces inside where they will not be seen. I like that look, if it’s a problem other than design complexity, I’d change it.
I have made some changes already to the buck converters while reading this, will upload those changes and some others later after work.
Thanks for your input so far, it’s very helpful.