Please make a Android-version of KiCAD!

but this could also be the solution!

I want kicad on my watch. It’s an old wind-up watch, so how do I go about doing this? I need full instructions please. I also want kicad on my rotary-dial phone, and morse code key.

6 Likes

I guess no one prevents you from installing Ubuntu Touch on it (Touch/DualBootInstallation - Ubuntu Wiki), but I don’t think KiCad is compatible with Ubuntu Touch.

Maybe, but only after it gets in a usable state where it doesn’t crash or hang.

1. NO WAY! i have personal problems with Ubuntu! one time, i had Ubuntu, but destroyed it accidently! every time i used ubuntu, i had a problem with it!

^ we can try it

now in 3 days! :wink:
just me, im somtimes a bit of a minimalistic one

i cant reply in the next hours, becoase i’m going to sleep now, my eyes are red and they burning!

If you want to try to fix it, all the code and instructions are in the repos :wink:

Notable bugs include:

• Crash when trying to open any board except the hardcoded pic_programmer demo - the file chooser worked in wx sample
  • Trying to use OpenGL (via GL4ES) crashes - worked in wx sample

Probably quickest and easiest to purchase a new battery for the laptop. Maybe even cheaper than buying some high-powered magnifier so you can see the via footprints and “wire not connected” symbols on the phone screen. :slightly_smiling_face:

@teletypeguy

You forgot your sundial in the front garden :grinning:
That’d be cool: “Weatherproof Kicad”. Marketing may use this idea for free if they wish :grinning:

1 Like

Yea kicad on android is purely academic at this point. It would take significant interest to make it a real thing.

Moving to Projects category since this won’t be mainstream for the foreseeable future and there are links for hobbyists with more time than money.

@dsa-t: for me, and my aging eyes, I don’t see working on a tablet let alone a phone but I can see how some folks would find it a good fit. It must have been a bit of work to port kicad to android!

I didn’t at first consider that I have an android-based sony tv on the wall – is that a potential run platform?

This could work in theory.

Can’t think of any worse torture than trying to use any CAD package, let alone KiCad on a phone.

2 Likes

If you don’t care about screen size, or screencast it to a bigger screen, once you connect mouse and keyboard, it may start getting usable.

or i buy me a tablet, than I can use my phone as a mouse

do you want to see my equipment for my laptop? I use my Nintendo switch controller as mous!

oh i have another Laptop, but the battery is like, yea… s*it! and By the way iy have an credit card reader :rofl: !

Computing grunt, RAM and screen resolution are within reach of phones and tablets, provided you use an external mouse and a keyboard and cast the screen to a larger one. I used to have ideas of doing nomad work (programming, not ECAD) years ago, renting a screen at the destination. Now work is a four-letter word (but so’s life, nobody gets out of it alive :wink:)

The kicker though is you need a decent amount of disk storage for the libraries. Phablets assume access to cloud resources. If you are going to attach a disk to the phablet, you might as well get a decent laptop. They are much more affordable now.

1 Like

Notably when buying them refurbished. Which I recently did (Thinkpad x1 carbon 6. Gen) to my fullest satisfaction.

a friend has also a Thinkpad, but if i buy one, what i should do with 3 laptops?