Pcbnew crash when deleting segment

Hi,

I’m running Kicad 6864 BZR on Arch Linux. It is stable for the most part, but every so often I run into a problem where pcbnew will crash when I try to delete a particular segment. So before I go to the effort of compiling a debug build, I thought I’d try to see if anyone here can help.

If I open the kicad_pcb file in a text editor, I can find the segment in question:
(segment (start 132.1182 64.92) (end 132.1183 64.92) (width 0.25) (layer F.Cu) (net 2))

If I manually remove it from the file (and update the “general” settings so that tracks reads 0) or if I delete it in Kicad then pcbnew will crash.

This segment was left over from a previous routing attempt that I wasn’t happy with so I decided to delete it all and start again.

Any thoughts? If someone can even direct me on how to manually edit the file using a text editor, that would be great!

Can you post the file?

Actually - I solved my problem by deleting the zones at the end of the file using a text editor. This, for some reason, allowed me to delete the problematic segment without crashing pcbnew. Stupidly, I never made a copy of the problematic file so I can’t share it with you right now. This has happened to me before though, on a different design, so if it happens again, I’ll post the file.

1 Like

Zones can be trouble some times, been there done that (just on windows).
Save your work every other step and do incremental backups in case you need to be able to get back to a certain stage with your project is the best advise I can give.

1 Like

You’re right, it happened again there. I’ll take your advice but also, if you want to remove all your tracks and start again with a board, best remove the zones manually first.