Pcb ruler is too small

Hello
I have problem with the ruler , when I want to measure , it is too small to see the numbers. and when I want to zoon in/out, it will be more smaller. my windows was Arabic language version, and when I change it to English, the ruler size become ok for just few days and again became so tiny to see. So I contact kicad twitter account, but the account responsible did not replay or solve my issue.

please I need help

Well a screenshot of what you see would help us understand whats going on. It might either be the case that it is really shown much smaller for you or it is shown like it is for everyone else but you have worse eye sight.

Regarding zoom: The measure tools font size stays constant no matter what zoom level you are in. (But it shows more info when zoomed in)

In general you could look into preferences->preferences -> common -> canvas scale (remove the auto tickmark and play with the scale)

hello
I upload a picture to clarify my case

thanks for replay and help

The size is normal when considering your screen resolution.
I would suggest you change the color of the Aux items to be completely white. (Right sidebar, “aux items”, double leftclick or middle click on the coloured square to open the colour wheel)

Or play with the scale factor as suggested.

I had changed the aux color to white
I had changed the resoultion and font size

the size of the ruler has been improved.
but if there is more improvement and could be bigger. I will be appreciate you tooooooo much

I

1 Like

It appears you are using hi-dpi screen (laptop maybe?). There are some quirks with those, I would report this on launchpad bug tracker. It definitely looks much smaller than on normal screens.

1 Like

yes Iam using laptop HP
but the monitor is " Generic Pnp monitor"
and the adapter type " intel ® HD graphics 620

Yes, please report this over at https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad

The ruler should be more visible (or at least configurable). I have a HiDPI monitor that shows the ruler much larger than the one in your image, so I think we can make improvements here.

thanks
I just reported as a bug
thanks for all

Just for comparison I’ve made a little screenshot of how the ruler looks on my box:

Note:
When posting screenshots it’s much better to make them of a small portion of your screen. It’s nice and dandy for you if you have a monitor with 2319x1180 pixels, but such pictures get scaled on the forum and therefore it’s hard to compare here what you see yourself.
With smal pictures, the forum does not do scaling, and just shows them 1:1.

I am also not sure whether to find it hilarious or weird that people buy monitors with very small pixels, and then complain about text being too small and wanting to scale everything. Optimum pixel size for cad work seems to be somewhere between 0.18mm and 0.22mm.

Also, your text does not seem white to me, but vaguely greyish.
Are you sure you/ve set the RGB to 255/255/255 ?
Maybe it also has to do something with anti alias settings.

That is a very valid complaint because it’s pure software shortcomings. It can be argued that these are early adopters pains but hi-dpi has existed for >7 years on desktops (more than that on mobile) and software has still not fully caught up.

1 Like

Hi
my monitor resolution is 3840x2160

Did you try the canvas scaling i suggested?

yes
but it just changed the size of the icons and tools bar.

That should only be controlled by the icon scale value that is directly above the canvas scale value (Tested in 5.1.2 under ubuntu) But do not increase it by too much as it also influences how fast mouse movements are. (1.5 was more than enough for me.) And in my case there was an offset between mouse and cursor. (I would assume this is a bug. Need to test more before i report it.)

this is what I have in my preference

What version of kicad are you on? (I just realize we should have properly asked this a lot sooner.)

Application: kicad
Version: (5.1.0)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.61.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1 (WinSSL) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.6 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) nghttp2/1.34.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.68.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.61.1
Compiler: GCC 8.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Strange has this setting been added in 5.1.2? Either that or there is some other reason why you do not have it. Anyhow i suggest you update to 5.1.2. (There should not be any real difference other than bugfixes.)

yes this is what Iam doing right now
Iam not working in kicad too much and I just use it for a few projects
I used to work with eagle and I just shifted to kicad
I hope after updating the software, this issue will be fixed.
I will update you after installation