Pcb ruler is too small

Yes. It went in as a usability change because folks with scaled HiDPI monitors under Linux/MSW were having difficulty using KiCad. Normally, string changes are not inserted in minor point releases.

https://git.launchpad.net/kicad/commit/?h=5.1&id=6f78bb696

1 Like

I have updating the version to the latest one
but still no change
I have uploaded a video to youtube to see exactly what happen

1 Like

To add more off topic remarks to this…
Anti-aliasing and sub pixel sampling are compute intensive crutches, which hidpi monitors should circumvent easily, as they can use more ‘binary colored’ pixels (less compute) to make smooth appearing CAD drawings right out the box, due to their small pixel size.

As @qu1ck said, this is a pure software problem, not being able to scale graphic items properly to match a certain amount of pixels (width or height) which would translate to mm or inches, but having been hard coded to always represent x pixels high or wide.
Change in that realm due to legacy drivers and what not under the hood is glacial… :roll_eyes:

From the Autodesk Maya forum:

1 Like

Still off topic:
The “HiDPI display” from your example is especially hilarious. It just uses blocks of 2x2 pixels, which effictively makes 3/4 of the pixels useless.

Anti-aliasing being compute intensive is also not a very valid point. Even cheap 8 year old video card technology does this in hardware, and is plenty fast for CAD. (Not for gamers, but those have other video hardware).

Your last example “HiDPI display + HiDPI rendering” is maybe the worst example of them all. With such small pixels there is no use anymore to do anti-aliasing, because your eyes do it for you in the analog domain. Turning on anti aliasing for so many and such small pixels will indeed be more compute intensive.

For OP:
Just made another screenshot by zooming in on your screenshot from #5 (Left side) and comparing it with my KiCad (on the right).
Your text is slightly bigger (more pixels) than on my KiCad, but much less clear.
The video you made in #22 does not add much.
If your text was the same as on my monitor (fatter, white on black) then it may be readable (though small) on your monitor.
It’s also clearly using a different font. I have dots in the zero’s, you don’t.
The “e” in your text has a slanted line in the middle, while mine is horizontal.
The middle leg of my “m” is shorter than the others.

I’m using KiCAd V5.1 on Linux. I do not know if other OS may use other fonts for this.

1 Like

The left side image is probably Fallback canvas, the right is Accelerated. @Store201515, can you try Preferences->Accelerated? There might be differences between canvases and also different bugs. Make sure you add this information to the bug report. (And always add a link to the report here when you tell that you reported a bug to the bug database :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Hello
now what I solved is just the color brightness.
it is from the

1. modern tool set ( accelerated) it is more brightness
  2. modern tool set ( fall back ) it is less brightness

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.