P Channel Mosfet symbols and footprints

For what I see - JEDEC/other standard is for manufacture to follow and use - I don’t have power over them so just accept it. Then my library allays follow the datasheet to get as close match as I can.

I think I like this more than another translation layer between symbol and footprint. Because it can be treat at another column in BOM table. And can be easily mass edited. But I may be wrong.

When 20 years ago we bought the PCB design software we began to define our library (we use only our own defined symbols and footprints). Except only few exceptions we didn’t changed anything in our libraries. We only added new elements needed in new projects. After 20 years practically when I design new project I typically had to add one or two new elements (or many times 0).
I remember only one exception. I think about 10 years ago we decided that we change meaning of 100n from being 100n 0603 to 100n 0402. But as the elements used in schematic are copied int it the only risk was then when I will design new version of such old project I will end with 0603 100n capacitors instead of assumed to be used now 0402.

1 Like

For KiCad case - I think I can safely replace the default footprint from 0603 to 0402 in the old library without effect the old projects. Because the properties are storage with the project files. So I think KiCad is fine for this use case you are mention as of right now.

For KiCad case I have done the following:

1. I asked my contract manufacturer if he has anything against seeing in BOM two lines like these:
    1k R1,R5,R7 Resistor 1k, 1% 0402
    1k R3,R4,R6 Resistor 1k, 1% 0603
    That means to have the same type name for different parts. He has nothing against.

2. I checked if I can in my elements spreadsheet serach the element not only by its type (as I was doing till now) but by concatenation of type and footprint. I can.

3. I have checked if KiCad gives me such BOM if I use the same type with different footprints. It gives.

4. I decided to use the same type names for 0402 and 0603 resistors.

If in any time in future I will decide to use 0201 resistors I will not change default footprint of existing library elements but I will add new ones.

Yep that what I do too when you need >2 type footprints in same BOM. But because it is annoying for me to keep modify the symbol properties - I tend to put a bunch of “used” symbol with properties difference than default in a schematic sheet and just copy and paste as I needed during making schematic :slight_smile:

I don’t think anyone ask to have this kind of feature to help did work easier by add symbols with properties already use in current project instead from library default.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.