Opinions on an EN_GB language

I am getting very tempted to take on an EN_GB language option if it is likely to be accepted.
I am sure I am not alone in being disturbed by US spelling. Many of the Commonwealth countries use EN variations much closer to UK English than US as well.
This would be much easier than most languages as we don’t have lack of technical words problems, mainly a word substitution exercise.
What do you think?

2 Likes

Queue up the xkcd standards cartoon? :wink:

Is it worth it? Colour me unconvinced.

1 Like

It is not necessary, but makes the titles and documentation easier to read. I also face a battle to get people to use the correct spell checker in their own documents as they get too used to reading US spelling and too lazy to change from the MS default.

I don’t have an opinion on whether it is worth it or not. However I’m in the US and our company is owned by a UK firm. For years I’ve been using documents with UK spelling. I have no issue going back and forth. To me the difference in spelling is trivial.

However it does bug me when posters can’t / don’t spell their question correctly (US or UK).

The differences don’t bother me but I’ve always chosen EN_AU (or EN_GB as a fallback choice) for my locale as it’s consistent with other settings on my Linux installation. Why _AU? Because we have $ rather than £ for shift 4 on keyboards.

My office runs on EN_MY, which is very similar to EN_AU, the $ symbol again although the currency is actually RM. Both are usually UK spelling

MY boleh!!! :rofl:

Oh good.
Will this mean we will use the Kicad programme while we are sitting in front of the computer wearing our socks on our feet?

We could even discuss the British Association Metric Screw Thread system instead of that other Metric Screw Thread system.

I found it curious that in Germany where everything is metric, the socket drives are 1/4 in square.

I’ve always thought that it is a plot by MS to take over world spelling by stealth.

I’ve kind of got used to it now but it still causes an interruption in reading when a US spelling appears in the text.

A EN_GB or even EN_AU spelling would be great. How about taking on the EN imperial/metric mess at the same time?

For those of you in the BMW program………

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.**

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5-year phase-in plan that would become known as “Euro-English”.**

In the first year, “s” will replace the soft “c”. Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.**

The hard “c” will be dropped in favour of “k”. This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.**

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome “ph” will be replaced with “f”. This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.**

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.**

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.**

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent “e” in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.**

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing “th” with “z” and “w” with “v”.**

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary “o” kan be dropd from vords kontaining “ou” and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.**

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.**

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze first plas.**

If zis mad u smil, ples pas on to oza pepl.

11 Likes

It’s possible though perhaps a little hassle to override some locale settings globally or per application. For instance with the en_AU locale the default time representation is HH:MM AM/PM. I used to change the time format to 24 hour HH:MM by choosing the DK locale just for that. Nowadays most applications allow both formats, so I stopped doing that.

1 Like

What happens when Scotland becomes independent?

3 Likes

Maybe it will join the EU?

3 Likes

Not much, after all, the Scottish language is quite independent of EN_GB, isn’t it ???

Some do care about EN/US spelling in posts?
Again I apologise for taking part in the forum, beeing a non native speaker.

Nah, the differences are minor compared to some other languages with variants. And English is no paragon of consistency. Humour is GB, humor is US, but the adjective is humorous (both). Go figure.

If someone creates a new operating system and calls it HumorOS, is it EN or US?

Neither. It is just a spelling mistake.