Opinions on an EN_GB language

Neither, it would be a joke. :wink:

My wife likes the ‘Great British Baking Show’ or whatever it’s called. Last night I told her we’re going to have to turn on the sub-titles.

I love that show. It’s called the Great British Bake-off in the UK, but “Bake-Off” is a trademarked term in the US. Yet another distinction.

You’ll get the hang of the accents pretty quickly, unless they have a baker from a region with an especially strong or torturous accent. What’s more fun is language differences. Many Americans are aware that what they call “french fries” are known as “chips” in the UK. Fewer are aware that what Americans call “chips” are called “crisps” in the UK. And then there is the term “biscuit” and many others. Wait until someone puts a pan “on the hob” .

When I first visited England way back in the 1980s I picked up a publication in a tourist shop purporting to be a British/American dictionary. To my surprise I found it very helpful.

FWIW, the internal code is a mix of American and British spellings. (As is our GUI toolkit, wxWidgets.) :man_shrugging:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.