OLED Display, 1x4 Header and Four Soldered Threaded Standoff, Footprint versus BOM

This may be both a Manufacturing topic and a Footprint topic.

We are trying and so far failing to finish a PCB design using an OLED display with assembly at JLCPCB.
Screen shot of the OLED with a 1x4 header for the four signals and four threaded M2 stand offs which solder into the PCB below.

The web page automated system for assembly information at JLCPCB wants a BOM where each part type has a group of reference designators. It also wants a file for placement where each part has a single reference designator and X and Y coordinates for each.
The KiCad PCB footprint approach is incompatible with all of that. For one PCB footprint (and therefor one reference designator) I have six parts, the OLED, the 1x4 header and four threaded stand off with which the OLED is mounted.
Can anyone suggest solutions?

This is similar to but differetn from

… The KiCad PCB footprint approach is incompatible with all of that …

Yes, currently this is not implemented. A gitlab issue is already open, you should upvote that feature request if you need this more often: Support 1:N links between symbols and footprints/BOM items (meta-footprints) (#12521) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

My approach for this task would be to include 5 symbols (4x standoff + 1x pinheader), place them at the correct position, then group them together so for the remaining work on the board they hold their position (relative to each other).

Because the OLED themself is a very special item which must be soldered manually at the end of the production this will require special consultation with the production fab. I doubt that any automated web page is able to acknowledge this specific requirement.

Thanks for getting back to me. Placing the five parts defeats the point of a footprint or course.

Regarding, "then group them together " This is the first I have heard of such a work flow. Will try to search it.

Have found grouping.

Will have to experiment further

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.