No symbols in Eeschema

I’m not able to add any symbol in schematic. When I try to place a symbol (menu Place -> Add symbol) in “Choose symbol” window I don’t see any library.
In menu Prefrences → “Configure paths” I have KYCAD_SYMBOL_DIR = /usr/share/kicad/library. And in /usr/share/kicad/library I have 386 files (*.DCM and *.LIB). Then it seems that Eeschema don’t “see” libraries.

KiCad just reinstalled in LinuxMint 19.2.

Application: Eeschema
Version: 5.99.0-unknown-0ecf5de~86~ubuntu18.04.1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.58.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1 zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.4 libpsl/0.19.1 (+libidn2/2.0.4) nghttp2/1.30.0 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 4.15.0-58-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.22
Boost: 1.65.1
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.58.0
Compiler: GCC 7.4.0 with C++ ABI 1011

Build settings:
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Are you sure you want to be using the cutting edge nightly releases (I spotted that with the reported version 5.99.0)? The nightlies might have the “latest” features, but there is no guarantee that those features actually work or don’t break other parts. Before you get too far, you might want to run the latest stable version, 5.1.4 as the latest nightlies (can? will?) create projects that aren’t readable by the latest stable version.

That said, regarding your specific question, just configuring the path for where the libraries isn’t enough. You need to also specify which libraries in that location you want to use. Here are some FAQs for you to peruse to help you get a grasp on library management. (I threw in one specifically for Linux, but I don’t use Linux so I’m not sure if it applies to your situation.)

Those FAQ entries and many others can be found when you click the FAQ link in the header bar for the forum (just to the left of the search icon). The top, pinned entry in that area includes a categorized index to help you find the correct entry.

Or, are you reporting a new bug in the latest nightlies to get fixed? If so, the proper place to report those bugs are over on Launchpad.

Regarding the use of nightly builds: Is it a good idea to use a nightly build version?

Thanks a lot for answers.

I have 5.14 installed in openSUSE (another Linux distribution) that I use for “normal” works. But I like to follow KiCad development and for this I have “nightlies” in Linux Mint.

If I understand this is new for me. It seems like pcb libraries works. I’ll check FAQS you listed.

There used to be a bug for a while where those item lists were not populated even though ‘everything’ was there. Just had to roughly guess and click on any blank line. Items themselves then would show up.

As of Version: (5.99.0-147-gd71b6c4cb) compiled about half an hour ago, and a hand full versions before that the item lists seem to show up again properly.

I don’t use nightlies hence don’t know how much in sync they are with the master branch.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.