No footprint are associated with the symbols after upgrade version

2024-01-01T23:00:00Z

Hi everyone.
I’m new to this forum, I’ve just been using kicad and I’d like to learn how to use it correctly.

I recently updated kicad from version 5 to version 7 on LINUX Mint . After the update I cannot in any way associate the footprints with the components.

I checked that the footprint library folder is in the correct place, and it seems so.
I checked the libraries folder: it contains subfolders with .pretty extension and every file inside it has kicad_mod extension.
example:
/usr/share/kicad/footprints/Capacitor_THT.pretty/C_Axial_L3.8mm_D2.6mm_P7.50mm_Horizontal.kicad_mod

The library path settings are as follows:

KICAD7_3DMODEL_DIR /usr/share/kicad/3dmodels/
KICAD7_3RD_PARTY /home/andrea/.local/share/kicad/7.0/3rdparty
KICAD7_FOOTPRINT_DIR /usr/share/kicad/footprints
KICAD7_SYMBOL_DIR /usr/share/kicad/symbols/
KICAD7_TEMPLATE_DIR /usr/share/kicad/template
KICAD_USER_TEMPLATE_DIR /home/andrea/.local/share/kicad/7.0/template/

maybe I should reinstall kicad again?
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to resolve this?
Thanks in advance.

There are several different ways to assign footprints in KiCad. If the preview in your Choose Symbol dialog is empty, that just means there is no default footprint for that schematic symbol, and that is a small thing. How do you normally handle this for resistors and capacitors? Those also do not have a “default” footprint, and you have to use one of the 5 or more different ways to assign footprints.

Thanks paulvdh,

Not only resistor or capacitor but no other component is associated with its fingerprint.
in kicad 5 most of the footprints were associated automatically…

I don’t remember, but I don’t think so.
What footprint was associated with resistor? THT - what size or SMD 1206, 0805, 0603 (reflow soldering or hand soldering) ? Which one?

The 4001 does not have a default footprint. Can you check some symbols which do?

One example is IR4301:

This is correct on my Linux Mint.

Application: KiCad PCB Editor x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.10-7.0.10~ubuntu22.04.1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.1
FreeType 2.11.1
HarfBuzz 6.0.0
FontConfig 2.13.1
libcurl/7.81.0 OpenSSL/3.0.2 zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.4.8 libidn2/2.3.2 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.2) libssh/0.9.6/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.43.0 librtmp/2.3 OpenLDAP/2.5.16

Platform: Linux Mint 21.2, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, cinnamon, x11

Build Info:
Date: Dec 31 2023 13:35:31
wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.74.0
OCC: 7.5.2
Curl: 7.88.1
ngspice: 38
Compiler: GCC 11.4.0 with C++ ABI 1016

Build settings:
KICAD_SPICE=ON

You seem to be in the Symbol Editor (is that Italian?).
You cannot edit symbols in the standard libraries, they’re read-only.
Only personal/custom libraries can be edited, and you can add footprints to your symbols there.

But as soon as a Standard Symbol is placed in your schematic, you can add a footprint to it (it’s now stored with the Project).

No, that dialog is from: Schematic Editor / Place / Add Symbol A.K.A the A key.

Yes, and this works the same as in KiCad V5 (but back then the symbols were not stored in the schematic file).

I guess there is just some confusion. A lot of symbols never had default footprints and those always had to be assigned in one of the many other ways.

@ciop67 : we also need to know the exact kicad version (v7.0.1 / 7.0.2 … 7.0.10). Some of the v7.0.x versions had a bug in exactly the dialog window you have shown in your opening post.

Thanks craftyjon,

no footprint is associated with IR4301: the message is “footprint not found”

Thanks Piotr,
footprint associated with resistor was THT, but I don’t remember the size.

HI ML9104,

Isn’ t the symbol Library, but the dialog box that appear from " place component " command. ( Yes, is Italian )

Hi mf-ibfeew
version I have installed is:

immagine

Works for me.

Also from Place a symbol.

first thanks for the version information, this excludes the older bug I had in mind.

no footprint is associated with IR4301: the message is “footprint not found”

Your interpretation is not correct. There is correctly a default footprint associated with the IR4301.
The error message “footprint not found” points into your assumptions from the beginning: Kicad is not able to either find the whole library or the footprint file inside the library folder.
The footprint+library in question (for the IR4301) is Package_DFN_QFN:Infineon_PQFN-22-15-4EP_6x5mm_P0.65mm.

To debug this on your system:

• Are you able to open the footprint libraries in the footprint editor?
  • What happens if you delete the library from the footprint library table and subsequently add the library? (using the Preferences–>Manage footprint libraries… dialog).
  • What happens if you (just for testing) create a new personal library, create some test-footprint and associate your symbols with these footprints? Does that work?
  • you could also use my attached gitlab-bugreport library, which includes some footprints to play with:
    0IBF 00 library bugreport.zip (46.5 KB). Download, unzip, and add the folder as new “global library” to your Footprint library table.

And I just see that you have migrated from old v5 to v7. There was a FP library change - maybe you have to set the library-type differently in the Manage footprint libraries… dialog.

Hi @ciop67

There may also be a problem with your Operating System. Mint 20.2 based on Ubuntu 20.04.1 is no longer supported by Kicad.
See here: https://www.kicad.org/help/system-requirements/

If the program and symbols work, the footprints should work too. While it is not supported, I think at the moment it still works on 20.04

I have both a default footprint and a working preview on my Linux Mint box.

I also have this footprint installed twice. Once for KiCad V7.0.10 and once for KiCad-nightly V7.99:

paul@cezanne:~$ locate Infineon_PQFN-22-15-4EP_6x5mm_P0.65mm
/usr/share/kicad/footprints/Package_DFN_QFN.pretty/Infineon_PQFN-22-15-4EP_6x5mm_P0.65mm.kicad_mod
/usr/share/kicad-nightly/footprints/Package_DFN_QFN.pretty/Infineon_PQFN-22-15-4EP_6x5mm_P0.65mm.kicad_mod

And for KiCad to be able to show the preview of the footprint, the footprint both has to be on your system, and the entry for the library it is in: Package_DFN_QFN.pretty has to be in the footprint library table.

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.10-7.0.10~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.2
	FreeType 2.10.1
	HarfBuzz 6.0.0
	FontConfig 2.13.1
	libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux Mint 20.3, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, xfce, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Dec 31 2023 13:35:27
	wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.71.0
	OCC: 7.5.2
	Curl: 7.88.1
	ngspice: 38
	Compiler: GCC 9.4.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

It was just a thought; hence the may.

Thanks for the comment. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am now writing from Win7 PC. As KiCad since V6 needs at least Win10 I have here (at Win7) KiCad V5 still installed with its default libraries. I opened symbol editor and found in Device library the R symbol. It has no footprint associated with it.