Nice V8 demo YT Video

Just seen the video on V8 new features, should be interesting for anyone lurking at V8:

5 Likes

Good video and interesting he is mentioning the TAB issue which has been for a very long time, which still seems much of a joke and it would be interesting to know if it’s any chance to get this workable quite soon. Many (most) available applications in the world has working TAB functions (to jump in correct order between fields and buttons) so why is that not the case with KiCad one might wonder.

2 Likes

As far as I remember, root case of issue with proper handling of TAB switching between edit fields is in underlaying WXWidgets.
Definitely improvement here would be nice to have, for a productivity boost.

And here’s another video, from yesterday, of good quality which would be nice to see more of: https://youtu.be/Ohxlmy0p7FE

3 Likes

And here’s another one…

https://youtu.be/xi4YvNt-rrY

That channel has made a lot of videos which all seem to be crystal clear. Well done!

1 Like

I don’t know about programming. Is “WXWidgets” such a difficult thing it can not be solved?

Not sure, imagine it would require some coding overhead. And things may get even more complex if we consider cross-platform compatibility. But above all else, it’s just probably not high enough priority for the developers.

Thanks, KiCad keeps getting better and better in so many ways but this little TAB issue not being looked at (not fixed) is one little thing that still make it seem not “pro”. I have mentioned this before, maybe reported as a “bug” like 2 years ago, I don’t remember.

So probably the best approach would be to “Up vote” this feature / wishlist item, so the Developers could know better our (users’) needs. I’d be happy to upvote this.

I have difficulties to do a bug report, for me the bug place is blurry and i don’t really get how to do it so I prefer to skip reports so if you would like to report/upvote this it would be positive for all users!

As it starts going off-topic here, I’ve attempted to start a discussion there:

Good to hear it’s up for discussion! It might though be some guys saying “I don’t use TAB so it’s not needed!” and then the topic will fall off topic again. Let’s see and hope one or 2 developers see it and think it’s a needed function. For the moment KiCad is a bit like driving a really fast car where they forgot to assemble the doors. Btw, Shift+Tab is already working in the same way as the TAB is working, or not working. In some dialogs the TAB/Shift TAB is already working. This is what the thing is about, a mess, kind of The Wild West 2024 :slight_smile:

Impressive vid. Would take me several days to make that several minute video.

Grid Overrides look awesome! KiCad’s attention to user flow continues to astound and delight.