Ngspice-30 simulator available

ngspice-30 is available.

please see http://ngspice.sourceforge.net/ngspice-eeschema.html.

Among other benefits (e.g. PSPICE device model compatibility) this version allows running a .control section with ngspice commands right after the simulation. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1788676 for some info on this feature.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for your effort. It looks like the fedora maintainer is now happy to build the library as well.

I decided to update to ngspice-30 from ngspice-28.
As a reminder, I followed this procedure on Ubuntu-18.04:

FOR THE RECORD (on Linux Ubuntu 18.04)

I first installed the nightly binaries from the Ubuntu ppa by js-reynaud.
Then I downloaded ngspice-30.tar.gz and compiled according to the instructions by holger:

mkdir release
cd release
…/configure --with-ngshared --enable-xspice --enable-cider --enable-openmp --disable-debug CFLAGS="-m64 -O2" LDFLAGS="-m64 -s"
make -j6
sudo make install

Then I changed the pointers to libngspice from the location created by reynaud’s repo to the default installation location from the sources:

cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
    sudo mv libngspice.so OLD.libngspice.so
    sudo mv libngspice.so.0 OLD.libngspice.so.0
    sudo mv libngspice.so.0.0.0 OLD.libngspice.so.0.0.0
    sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libngspice.so.0.0.0 libngspice.so
    sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libngspice.so.0.0.0 libngspice.so.0
    sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libngspice.so.0.0.0 libngspice.so.0.0.0

This worked on my Ubuntu-18.04 system.
I will have to see if the links are oke after an update from the repo. I will probably have to restore one or more of the symbolic links. I will figure it out when I come to it.

In the Releasenotes:

• VDMOS device model has been overhauled extensively

I seem to have noticed that the revamped VDMOS model has three terminals, instead of the 4 in the ‘pspice:MNMOS’ library model. So the ‘pspice:MNMOS’ device is no longer working?

I have tested the PowerMOS test for ngspice-28 that was supplied by @holger at the time, but that fails unless I replace the ‘pspice:MNMOS’ with, for example, the ‘Device:Q_NMOS_DGS’ library model. After that minor change I have the 56A drain current, as expected.

I have probably missed something?
Is the ‘.spiceinit’ (containing ‘set ngbehavior=ps’) file still relevant and implemented in ngspice-30?