New install of 8.0--layout not visible

Try configuring Windows to use “High performance” (NVIDIA) GPU for KiCad.

For Windows 10 instructions see:

You have to add all KiCad binary files that use graphics (kicad.exe, pcbnew.exe, eeschema.exe, gerbview.exe, …)

You can try if the manufacturer of your video hardware has newer drivers. PC manufacturers generally don’t give much support for older hardware.

Actually, it seems you pick which GPU to use for “high performance” and “Power Saving” modes. But, the only option is for the Intel GPU, not the NVIDEA:

But, it does have an NVIDEA adapter, and device manager says its operating normally:

I do see a newer driver on the NVidea site. I might try that when I get back into town tomorrow night.

Tomorrow, I’m on airlines all day and I don’t want to “hose” the laptop–I need it for other things tomorrow while traveling.

1 Like

If the NVIDIA GPU cannot be used, another option is to set up an alternative OpenGL implementation:

1. Download mesa3d-24.0.6-release-msvc.7z from Releases · pal1000/mesa-dist-win (github.com)
  2. Unpack into a permanent location
  3. Run perappdeploy.cmd script
  4. Enter data (Ctrl+V or right mouse button click to paste):
    • Path to folder holding application executable: C:\Program Files\KiCad\8.0\bin
    • Continue with deployment? (y=yes): y
    • Application executable name with or without extension: <Press Enter to leave blank>
    • Select processor architecture: 2 (x86 64-bit)
    • Do you want Desktop OpenGL drivers (y/n, defaults to yes): <Press Enter to accept>
    • Do you need OpenGL ES support (y/n): <Press Enter to skip>
    • Do you need off-screen rendering (y/n): <Press Enter to skip>
    • Deploy video acceleration support (y/n): <Press Enter to skip>
    • More Mesa deployment? (y=yes): <Press Enter to skip>
1 Like

Travelling again tomorrow, so I thought I’d try the newer driver.

I installed the latest available, but there’s no change in the symptoms.

Can you help me understand what the mesa3d-24.0.6 is?

Will it impact other applications on my laptop? Is it know to be compatible with Thinkpad W520?

Thanks!

Mesa, also called Mesa3D and The Mesa 3D Graphics Library , is an open source implementation of OpenGL, Vulkan, and other graphics API specifications. Mesa translates these specifications to vendor-specific graphics hardware drivers."

mesa-dist-win repository contains the binary builds for Windows.

No, unless you run systemwidedeploy.cmd.

Not specifically, but there’s no reason for it to be incompatible.

So, on thos y/n prompts, you just hit Enter to skip? Does this mean yes?

Pressing Enter in (y/n) prompts defaults to n (no).

So I should answer N to these prompts?

Either press Enter without entering anything, or input n then press Enter.

So, I ran that script and rebooted. No change.

Is there a way to tell if the mesa drivers are actually being used?

I know the screen corruption looks like a driver issue, but do the symptom I’m seeing seem like a driver issue?

Everything is fine if the application is the first one opened. No need to use fallback graphics–everything just works.

It’s only when I try to open a second Kicad app that I see issues (even after closing the first one I opened). I have to close the top level Kicad and reopen then everything is good again for the first app opened.

If it’s really a graphics driver issue, shouldn’t I see similar issues on other apps that use the GPU? (Not sure what that would be, but maybe someone could identify one I could try?)

I just added this info, so it should appear in the next testing builds

https://downloads.kicad.org/kicad/windows/explore/8.0-testing

It may be a memory / GPU resources exhaustion issue, or some other software interfering with OpenGL.

Since Windows doesn’t recognize the NVIDIA GPU as “High performance”, I also recommend exploring the NVIDIA control panel more, maybe try assigning the NVIDIA GPU to KiCad from it.

To remove mesa from KiCad, run the perappdeploy.cmd script again:

• Path to folder holding application executable: C:\Program Files\KiCad\8.0\bin
  • Continue with deployment? (y=yes): <press Enter for “no”>

I tried installing and launching the Nvidea Control Panel app from the Microsoft store. But, after launching, it says it’s incompatible with the Nvidea hardware detected.

I’m punting on this, it’s just not worth the hassle to get it going. I’ll just get a new laptop if I expect to have time while on the road to work with Kicad.

It’s so much nicer working with my triple, 40" displays on a recent desktop than a laptop anyway. I just had a week and expect another where I’m out of town and wanted to get a couple of designs done and gerber submitted. It can wait.

1 Like

I think the control panel should be available even without installing anything from Microsoft store

7 Methods To Show NVIDIA Control Panel On Windows 10 - FastSoftwares US