Multi-part resnet symbol pin problem

I like to have resnets (resistor arrays) as individual euro style resistors which I can place separately from other units. Somehow I had this working in an earlier version of Kicad but I can’t seem to get it working in 7.08.

The problem is that I don’t seem to have any control of the positioning of the pins of duplicate units (B C D etc). I have used a pin table and tried different values and I have repositioned the part in the symbol editor and that does affect it, but it just goes where it goes.

Here’s a screenshot of the symbol edit and then placing them on the schematic - in this case I have put them one after another although they could be in other places on the schematic. Part A is fine, then the right pin of B drops down and out, as does C, and then D is even weirder.
What am I missing?

With only the picture I have no idea. It could be a bug or some unlucky setting on your symbol/pin properties.
Please read and follow New Member Information until you have promoted yourself to the next user level (basic user).
With that user level you could upload a zipped project (Kicad manager–>File–>Archive project). Please include the library with the resistor-network symbol.

Promoted. Upload if you want.

I didn’t do such things but it looks like you have separate pictures for each part and only part A correct. Probably there is a flag saying that all parts use the same picture that is not set.
Or you found the bug.

The body is common to all and I have to use the pin table to add extra pins. But is there a better way?

That’s why I combined a screenshot of a the schematic + the symbol editor along with the pin table. As for the symbol properties there isn’t much to tell, just the two pins that you see on the right and a common body.
As for settings, I wish there were settings, even the pin table makes assumptions with only x positions but no y etc.

Hi @Peter_Jakacki

Was your workflow: create one resistor symbol in the schematic editor then place that on a schematic then duplicate, with the pin problem occurring during duplication on the schematic?

Drag the RHS of the pin table to the right.

That didn’t help but it made me to think to right click on the attributes bar and it came up with the tick boxes including one for Y position. I will try that now.
This pin table thing seems like an awkward way to create a multipart symbol though :grin:

I’ve been trying to create your problem, but somehow I missed the multi part section above.

I’ll try again :roll_eyes:

To create the multi part symbol,

• I “saved as” a resistor as a new symbol
  • Opened new symbol
  • File > Symbol Properties > Set the number of units and ticked “all interchangeable” just under the number of units.
  • Opened the pin table and assigned the pin numbers according to the Unit description on the far right of the table.

I did not use the duplicate function.

I ended up with this:

ksnip_20231013-162438

1 Like

After I found the extra atrributes columns (right clock and tick) I was able to set it correctly.

Sorry, please explain

Right click on any attribute bar area (length etc)

Sorry for the confusion. I’ve never given that list a name.

This still doesn’t explain the original problem.
You originally wrote about duplicating.
What workflow did you use with the duplicating function?

I didn’t duplicate anything. I created a resistor body common to all and pins 1 and 2 and set it up for 2 or 4 units. I then opened the pin table and added the extra pins. This way I can place the individual resisotrs of the array anywhere in the schematic so that it can be clearly seen as a resistor. The additional marklings help me tweak my pcb for an optimal layout.
Here’s a sample where it is expedient to use a single resnet in place of 4 resistors.

1 Like

I’d better clean my glasses. That is two misinterpretations of your original thread. I’ve failed big time :slightly_frowning_face:

As i wrote above, my pins ended up where they were supposed to. I tried a few things but couldn’t manage to create your problem.

Have you tried creating another multi part symbol to see if the pin problem persists?

So, what happened here?
Is this the manifestation of some kind of bug, or was it unfamiliarity with KiCad and misuse of the multi part symbol feature? If it is bug related then further investigation and fixing the bug is warranted.

Even I have some multipart symbols (created long ago with V5) I have never seen ‘pin table’, and don’t have KiCad here to see it now.
@jmk is trying to find how it happened that you had a wrongly defined symbol - if it is a result of KiCad bug than it would be wise to find it.
At the moment (only after reading the thread and not trying anything myself) I suppose that adding parts B,C,D you didn’t sow a column in table with Y pin coordinates and because of it not corrected them. May be when adding next parts the same rule as when duplicating last schematic placement with Ins key was in action shifting pins 100 mils down. If so then a question is if its using there isn’t a bug to be fixed.

Hi @Piotr

The pin table is available in the Symbol Editor. It arrived in Kicad 6 or 7. I don’t remember which.
It is great for editing the pins, especially in multi part symbols. You can change anything in the drop down list on the RHS.

I defined my few multipart symbols (one double comparator and 2G14, 2G17) with V5 and since then didn’t edited them. I remember that selecting a part in toolbar I could see each of them with its pins and didn’t needed any pin table for it.