Mounting Hole: Pad net doesn't match net given by schematic

I thought I was going crazy until I started a new project and saw the same issue.

I just created a new project. Steps to produce the problem:

1. Created a new Kicad project
  2. In the schematic, add a “MountingHole_Pad” symbol
  3. Add “No Connect” to symbol pin
  4. Assign it the “MountingHole:MountingHole_4.3mm_M4_Pad_Via” footprint
  5. In the layout, create a simple rectangular Edge.Cuts shape
  6. Initiate “Update PCB from Schematic” and drop the footprint onto the PCB area
  7. Initiate “Design Rules Checker” with “Test for parity between PCB and schematic” checked.
  8. Pull hair out at slew of "Warning: Pad net (XXX_X) doesn’t match net given by schematic (XXX).

(See screenshot.) Why on earth am I getting these parity errors and how do I make them go away?

I could only reproduce the first 7 steps.

My hair is too short to grab on to pull it out, but there is no need to either because DRC does not give any error. Is it possible you have a hierarchical schematic with 8 instances?

Apparently you have already made a test project. If you zip it and upload it here, it’s easier for us to diagnose. But new members can not upload files. Read this to get over that:

Some of the people here can also bump you from “new user” to “basic user”, and then you can upload the project, but I can not do that.

I apologize. I forgot an important step. The symbol must be wired as “No Connect”. I’ve edited my original post, and I can upload a project once I’m back at my computer.

Adding a “No connect” flag to the schematic symbol did not change anything. DRC still OK.

I zipped up my example (KiCad V8.0.4) Does this work for you?

2024-07-25_asdf_pad_net.zip (6.8 KB)

Also, when bugs are suspected, always add your full version info. Do this with: … / Help / About / Copy Version Info, and then paste your version info in a post here.

Attached here is a test project which has this “bug”.
test.zip (298.9 KB)

Below is version info for my machine. Last night I was actually seeing this on a different machine running Fedora and Kicad 8.0.3 as well.

Application: KiCad x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 8.0.3, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.5
FreeType 2.13.2
HarfBuzz 8.5.0
FontConfig 2.15.0
libcurl/8.8.0 OpenSSL/3.1.4 zlib/1.3.1 brotli/1.1.0 zstd/1.5.6 libidn2/2.3.7 libpsl/0.21.5 libssh/0.10.6/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.62.1 OpenLDAP/2.6.7

Platform: openSUSE Tumbleweed, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, X11, KDE, x11

Build Info:
Date: Jun 12 2024 00:04:12
wxWidgets: 3.2.5 (wchar_t,STL containers) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.85.0
OCC: 7.7.2
Curl: 8.8.0
ngspice: 42
Compiler: GCC 13.3.0 with C++ ABI 1018

Build settings:

FYI, I posted this issue on the Kicad Gitlab as well. The solution is to upgrade to 8.0.4.

1 Like