Main kicad 5.0 window missing (OS X)

short form

Main KiCad window doesn’t show up, but menus work.

environment

Running kicad 5.0.0-rc2-dev-310-g1cd6477
on macOS Version 10.13.3

details

When I double-click on /Applications/Kicad/kicad, the kicad icon shows up in the dock, the menu shows as “KiCad”, but I don’t get the KiCad project window (or any window). If I select KiCad => Hide Others, there is no visible window. If I right click on the KiCad icon in the dock and select “Show All Windows”, I get a small translucent window on my desktop that says “No Available Windows”.

more details

This is probably my error, caused by attempting to switch from 4.x to 5.0. But I uninstalled everything, deleted all kicad files in

• /Application/Kicad
  • /Library/kicad
  • /Library/Application Support/kicad
  • ~/Library/Preferences/kicad
  • ~/Library/Caches/kicad

… then did a clean re-install of 5.0 Still no main windows.

Is there some information cached somewhere that’s messing things up?

KiCad not starting on MacBook Pro
KiCad not starting on MacBook Pro

update: enter / exit full screen causes the window to appear

Perhaps its because I have a two-screen setup and the window coordinates were confused, but I clicked on View => Enter Full Screen and the project window appeared. Clicking on View => Exit Full Screen caused the window to shrink (as intended), but now it stayed on screen.

So that’s a good enough workaround for me.

I am no KiCad developer, but I do have a multi monitor setup (KiCad 4.0.7 here under Debian Buster).
I am curious if this is repeatable. Does it happen every time you start KiCAd?
What happens if only one monitor is on when you start KiCad?

This totally worked for me. I thought the change was just how 5.0 was supposed to be – nice to have the window back.

This appears to be a one-time thing: once you’ve done the workaround (enter full screen / exit full screen), the main window appears reliably, even after switching from a two-monitor to a one-monitor setup.

To test this claim, I did the following:

• Ran kicad and moved all of its windows to the “second” monitor.
  • Quit kicad
  • Unplugged second monitor
  • Launched kicad

The main project window appeared on my laptop screen, as expected. So the workaround seems robust.

I had the same issue (MBP with no dual screen setup) after moving to RC2 but hadn’t had time to run it down. I noticed Mission Control would show the title of the window, but not the actual window, so I figured it must be off screen somewhere. Toggling in and out of full screen once fixed it.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.