Link Multiple Symbols to Database Part

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of setting up a database library for use in KiCad. I’ve used this repo as a starting point: SumantKhalate/KiCad-libdb: A KiCad V7 database library feature usage (github.com)

The basic setup is working just fine, and I have added new tables for inductors and diodes on top of the example. The symbol and footprint linking works as expected.

However, I am having trouble with linking multiple symbols to a part. I have used a database library with Siemens tools for many years now, so I’ll use that as an example. When adding a component, I can choose the symbol:

Each one has a different display style, as shown here:

Thus far, I have created one additional symbol in my symbol library, and I’m trying to reference it from the database by adding it to a semicolon-separated list:

The first part (with only one symbol, Device:R) works just fine and the symbol is displayed in the schematic. However, the second part with two symbols (Device:R;Device:R_Compact), doesn’t work and shows an empty symbol. I’ve tested that Device:R_Compact works on its own, so it can’t be a case of the symbol not being found.

Any ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

i think that at the moment, multiple symbols or footprint from dblibs are not possible,
if you think it is useful i suggest to vote the following feature request on github:

Multiple symbols is not possible; multiple footprints are working though.

1 Like

For the examples above there is no need for additional symbols. You can easily rotate (press R, and even rotate the refdes/values independently) and dragging the refdes and value to an new location is easy. You can copy/paste that part over and over if you need more with those new locations.

The “demorgan” feature for alternate gate symbols (or opamp with inputs swapped) can let you define a second version of a symbol which works for some folks. I use a database and want everything specified there.

I use an “AltSym” table in my database for a second symbol – the unique part number is identical, but it shows up on the BOM with a different table prefix. Works for me.

Mentioned it in a Jan 22 post:
https://forum.kicad.info/t/kicad-the-case-for-database-driven-design/34621/259

2 Likes

Or “Duplicate” using Hotkeys: Ctrl + D :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you,
i didn’t realized the relative feature request had been completed.
From the modified code i suppose that a ‘;’ separator on the footprint field

should populate the drop-down menu with the footprint alternative:

in my case it doesn’t seem to happen, the drop-down contains only the first footprint item of the list. ‘;’ should not be a special character, so no escape sequence should be required on the db (MySQL)

Any idea?

Version: 7.0.9-7.0.9~ubuntu23.04.1, release build

same on 7.99

P.S.

Now i understood how the stuff is supposed to work :slight_smile: :

in the schematic symbol editor, setup a Footprint filter for the valid footprint:

then when you place your database part the pull down menù is properly filled:

noice!

P.P.S

the information about multiple fooprints is not recovered from the DB but from the schematic library filter, not what i would have preferred but i think i can live with it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.