Libraries are not found!

Ubuntu 20.04.2, KiCAD Ver 5.1.9-73d0e3b20d-88-ubuntu20.04.1, release build

My CAD computer crashed back in December and I pulled out an 18.04 Ubuntu version HDD, installed it, then upgraded to 20.04.1. Then I reinstalled KiCAD, and C&P all my SCH files from the old drive to the new one. I haven’t used KiCAD very often as my CAD chores don’t occur very often these days.

But now I’m working on a new project and want to get KiCAD up and running properly again but each time I try to open a project, I’m greeted with these following action boxes…

First question I have is WHY can’t it find these particular libraries? They are all in the correct folder on the drive. Where are they supposed to be to be found? Most of these libraries are NOT used in any of my projects so far. ‘Devices’ is for example, but ‘adc-dac’ is not.

So how do I make this nag go away?

Next, this ‘Remap Symbols’ dialog box shows up. If I tell it to ‘remap’, it trashes any of my schematics…replacing components with square boxes.

Screenshot from 2021-03-29 11-49-18

So instead, I just click ‘Close’. And as soon as that’s done, the schematic shows up nice and pretty.
But if I make a change and want to save it, I’m prevented from doing that by this error message…

I’m sure there’s some simple way to fix this so I don’t have to re-place all my symbols in all my projects. That would be very painful.

Anyone have a work around, or fix? Something that would save me hours of re-placing bunches of symbols?

Thanks!

General answer:
https://forum.kicad.info/search?q=library%20management%20category%3A19

more specific:

The list of libs you show seems to be from version 4. So i assume you are trying to convert a project from version 4 to version 5. You really will want to read this: Converting KiCad version 4 projects to version 5 (Remap a project)

And of course also this: What are the cache and rescue libs and how does the schematic rescue dialog work? (KiCad version 5.x and earlier)

You assume incorrectly. No, I am not trying to convert from V4 to V5. I’ve been using V5 since shortly after it became available. All my schematics were converted to V5 as I recall…or it was automatic, I don’t recall. I did everything I thought I needed to do with the libraries but it was a while ago so I don’t remember specifics. I do remember doing a lot though.

Anyway, I’ve been ill for a few days which is why this thread has lapsed but in a couple hours after I get some clear tubing for another project, I’ll be back at this and try the instructions in your 2nd link.

The fact that you get a remap symbols dialog (second screenshot) shows that the project in question was not converted to version 5 (and designed in any older version)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.