KiCost octopart API

Officially released KiCost 1.0.1 using now Octopart API for fast price.

Try also the GUI for not terminal users (type kicost at terminal to start).

1 Like

I had the following issue when trying to update (On both my win7 and win 10 machines)

C:\Program Files\WPy-3661\scripts>pip install kicost==1.0.1
Collecting kicost==1.0.1
Downloading https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/bc/28/4f4ff2e9d8311fc9f764
24730037f92124a173778096b750d3fb3feb8af7/kicost-1.0.1.tar.gz (321kB)
100% |████████████████████████████████| 327kB 5.1MB/s
Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “C:\Users\paul\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-t4aocl9o\kicost\setup.p
y”, line 13, in
with open(‘README.md’) as readme_file:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘README.md’

I looked at the gz file and the .md file does seem to be missing.

Fix, @wasspaul . Try now.

First I want to thank you for all your work on this great utility !!!

I just installed 1.0.3 and the install worked fine.
Tried to run it and had issues which I figured out was a missing LC_ALL environment variable.

Once that was fixed typing kicost on the prompt got me the gui which I selected a bom file set options
and hit the cost it button. Best I can tell the button did not start the actual program (no output, no messages, no spreadsheet opening)
I tried kicost -i bomfilename from the command line and did indeed get output. Amazingly fast compared to previous versions

Thanks for report the issues.
Replace your kicost_gui.py file by this one

This fix will be present at next release.

How did you fix the LC_ALL on Windows? (for prevent in next users) I am a Linux user and didn’t have this issue.

For my windows 7 system:
In windows explorer right click on computer and select properties. This brings up the system control panel.
Select advanced system settings and then environment variables. Select new and enter LC_ALL in name and I used en_US.utf-8 in the value (I live in the US) (You need to select the appropriate value for your country I used goggle to figure out my country info)

If you choose User variables it only works for the logged in user but takes effect immediately.
If you choose System it works for all but requires a system reboot to become effective.

Hope this helps.

I’ve setup the environment variable but I’m still getting an error.
Was that the same error @wasspaul ?

Z:\git\...\motion_control_v2\bom>echo %LC_ALL%
en_US.utf-8

Z:\git\...\motion_control_v2\bom>kicost -i motion_control_board.xml
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python27\Scripts\kicost-script.py", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('kicost==1.0.3', 'console_scripts', 'kicost')()
  File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\kicost-1.0.3-py2.7.egg\kicost\__main__.py", line 257, in main
    dist_list=dist_list, currency=args.currency)
  File "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\kicost-1.0.3-py2.7.egg\kicost\kicost.py", line 191, in kicost
    dist_local_template.query_part_info(parts, distributor_dict, currency)
TypeError: unbound method query_part_info() must be called with dist_local_template instance as first argument (got list instance instead)

This is a error cause by not full compatibility of KiCost with Py2 (https://github.com/xesscorp/KiCost/issues/332), try to install in Py3.

We are experiencing several error lately and I am not in time to fix all, so I open a KiCost - call of developers . I hope more developers/programmers could help with this and others issues.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.