KiCost on Windows can't run GUI

I have managed to install KiCost on a Windows 7x64 PC along with Python 3.7.2 and wxPython.
when tried to start the GUI mode getting an error as below:

C:\Windows\system32>kicost
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “c:\program files\python37\lib\runpy.py”, line 193, in run_module_as_mai
n
main”, mod_spec)
File “c:\program files\python37\lib\runpy.py”, line 85, in run_code
exec(code, run_globals)
File "C:\Program Files\Python37\Scripts\kicost.exe_main
.py", line 9, in
File "c:\program files\python37\lib\site-packages\kicost_main
.py", line 22
3, in main
kicost_gui() # Use the user guide if no input is given.
File “c:\program files\python37\lib\site-packages\kicost\kicost_gui.py”, line
1024, in kicost_gui
frame = formKiCost(None)
518, in init
self.set_properties()
836, in set_properties
s=numbers.get_currency_symbol(currency),
File “c:\program files\python37\lib\site-packages\babel\numbers.py”, line 143,
in get_currency_symbol
return Locale.parse(locale).currency_symbols.get(currency, currency)
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘currency_symbols’

I have read the related post’s and documents, but lost in the wild, please help.

GUI works now and locale setting might be the issue.

@Sujith, some other user comment something about the Locale issue on Windows. Because I am a Linux user, I hadn’t the problem.
So, could you explain the steps to fix or post at the https://github.com/xesscorp/KiCost. We could add come especial lines at setup.py to configure this in the case of Windows OS.

I have added a system environment variable LC_ALL = en_US.utf-8 as mentioned in a post by @wasspaul attached below:

tried to find out how to configure for other countries, but couldn’t get a clear information.

Did any of you solve the problem reported in this topic?
I’m having the same error. I’m using the 1.0.3 version of Kicost, I do not want to use the version with OCTOPART.

@jtelocken, there is no support team to keep running the scrape version of KiCost. Since few months ago I have been the only one fixing it.
If you (and more users) want stay with this implementation paradigm, you can propose fix package to the scrape code brach

Otherwise, current version use Octopart

Next version of KiCost will use https://kitspace.org/. With help of @kasbah we will be able to provide better information. The code is now been coding at the main developing branch
https://github.com/xesscorp/KiCost/tree/master
We (@debisme and I) appreciate some help to fix the opened issues.

To clarify, it will use the Kitspace Partinfo service. This service still uses Octopart but we are also adding other services and scraping (recently implemented RS scraping in my development branch). Octopart is currently still the main source of information though so to keep the service sustainable, please donate towards the Kitspace project so we can pay for it when we need to.

Thanks @kasbah by clarify to us.

Other good point of Kitspace (that it will present in future KiCost) is that will be possible to automatically specify resistors (if the use select this option).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.