KICAD6.99-Finally added the teardrop feature(non - plugins)

It has been added to the latest version of Kicad6.99, but it can only be enabled by adding a user profile. To simplify the operation, I made a self-extracting zip package to complete the automatic configuration, as to run it to complete the configuration, enable this advanced feature!

KICAD6.99泪滴功能开启.exe (93.0 KB)
In Windows, just run.exe to execute the file and restart Kicad6.99 to enable the teardrop function

12 Likes

Nice feature - might like to correct the typo though - its ‘length’ not ‘lenght’ .

1 Like

:+1:I can’t believe I didn’t notice

is that a feature that has been added as pull request?

It has been added to the latest version of Kicad6.99, but it can only be enabled by adding a user profile. To simplify the operation, I made a self-extracting zip package to complete the automatic configuration, as to run it to complete the configuration, enable this advanced feature!

1 Like

Added by jpcharras. Native development. :slight_smile:

its fixed now:

its hidden behind an advance feature setting:

this should be in your settings file iirc.

In a language which pronounces cough, bough and rough in ways that don’t rhyme, I think that’s quite forgivable!! :wink:

5 Likes

That’s good, but frankly it could be better. Looking at how Diptrace/Altium are doing teardrops might help in doing a good draft for teardrops in v7.0.0. Diptrace teardrops video

I watched this video, there is a good room for teardrops improvements in KiCAD 7.0.0:

• Using polygons for teardrops was Ok when this was a plugin, but now it sounds as the “Enhanced plugin as a new feature in v7.0.0 with python converted to C++”.
  • Ability to customize individual teardrops.
  • Place teardrops on selected nets/pads/vias, etc…
2 Likes

Warning: as long as this feature is behind the config flag, it may change without notice, including in incompatible ways.

1 Like

Yea what Jon says. The feature is hidden for a reason, it’s experimental and the file format could even change and leave you an incompatible unsupported pcb file. It’s not meant for any use, at all.

2 Likes

Jon, this warning makes 6.99 sound it is for production, even for items not behind the config flags, which is not the case; the whole thing is experimental and the format might change even for features not behind the config flags as well.

In general, we try to make it so that if you create a design with one nightly, you can open it in future nightlies. There have been rare cases where this intention was not kept, but we try hard to make it the case.

This is explicitly not the case for things behind flags. If you design with some “old version” of teardrops, we will make no attempts to migrate your design in case we make breaking changes to how teardrops works, as long as it’s behind a flag.

4 Likes

Are the developers planning to include the teardrop definitions by project / net class?

2 Likes

This is a great news !
I will finally be able to stop development of the Python plugin at V7.
Can’t wait to see it fully released (not behind a config flag).

2 Likes

Not at this time. Please open a feature request explaining your needs in more detail.

IMO it’s natural that the minimum is on/off per project. But I can see how it would be useful to turn it on/off for each netclass. The smaller the annular ring of vias and the narrower the tracks, the more useful it’s to have teardrops for two mechanical reasons: it guarantees track connection in case of extreme hole location offset; and it adds mechanical tolerance for breaking when bending. It’s not as important in larger vias and wider tracks.

2 Likes

The current operation is not on/off per project: you can add teardrops to certain items within a design. It’s not like you flip a switch and then every track you route within a project gets a teardrop. It’s more like the “fillet tracks” tool where you add rounded corners to certain tracks.

It must be 6.99 version? I used 6.0.0, it don’t work. There has no menu display.

Only the latest version of KICAD6.99 is available, not even older versions of KICAD6.99