KiCad v6 translation in 2020

Hi, I could translate (localize) several strings per day (during coffee breaks) in case this is as easy as I can see in this link: https://hosted.weblate.org/translate/kicad/master-source/lt/?&offset=80

But I can see translation instructions here: How can I help improve KiCad?

These instructions points me to github, and provides not so easy way to translate. Because KiCad sits inside GitLab now, not in Github anymore, I hope that these instructions are out-dated.

Please inform - how does the process of translating looks like for v6?

I think some of the instructions are outdated. Recently the translations were moved to the main codebase. See https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/tree/master/translation.

I think @Seth_h can tell about the “improve” article and hopefully about the translation process, too.

Yes, we just moved to Weblate, so your first link is more likely to be correct than the second.

Ok, I have spotted that some of my translated strings from the first link (webplate) “automagically” appeared inside recent commit list in gitlab, so using webplate link is sufficient to make a translation.

Memo about how did I do the translation (memo):

1. Go to webplate, there is no need to have an account (at least worked for me);
  2. Select language, then “Translate” button on the top right;
  3. Translate proposed string and use buttons “Save” / “Suggest” / “Skip” (I don’t know the difference between “Save” and “Suggest” buttons);
  4. That is it (strings will appear in commit list after several weeks).

strings will appear in commit list after several weeks

Probably someone from developers are doing background work on this, @Seth_h authorized all commits.

1 Like

We’re still working out the procedure. For now, we are accepting translations without accounts but I suspect that we’ll start asking translators to create accounts before committing soon.

Thank you for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.