KiCad crashes every time when opening pcb file

Just another thing to look as - have you edited/adjusted your fp-lib-table in any way? I accidentally added a character to the beginning once and it caused exactly the same behaviour.

Hi! Same problem on Windows 10 64bits, solved it executing pcbnew as administrator, but not from project, opened pcnew and later the pcb using open

This is an ancient thread. You never need to “run as administrator”
I have noticed crashes in Nightlies when I open an old project pcbnew from the schematic window. This is always solved by opening the pcb first and then the schematic from pcbnew. After saving there is no more trouble.

I am sorry to drag this thread up again but I am having this exact problem and it is now 2021 so several versions after this issue was reported. I have the same. It’s random, machine restarts do not help. As soon as I try to start PCB new kicad crashes. I have tried opening it from the schematic and from the project manager but it’s the same really.

It happens occasionally on my home machine but not lately but I am having bad problems on my work computer that unfortunately I do not have much control over as it is locked into the corporate IT system so I don’t have admin rights. Could that be part of the problem?

Well, exact problem does not mean same cause when it comes to a crash. For that reason reading through 45 comments to get to the current is probably not helpful. Please start a new thread with the proper version info.

Thanks.

2 Likes