KiCad 6: Split sub-bus

Splitting a bus in KiCad 5 has been discussed at least in “Splitting a bus”, “Problems with bus connections and hierarchical sheets” and “Bus slice semantics”.

The conclusion is that it cannot be done (or rather, needs a workaround splitter sheet) in KiCad 5, with hopeful comments that it might be possible in KiCad 6. I’m using 6 right now, and none of the obvious attempts seem to work, and reading through the buses section of the manual doesn’t look promising either. So is it true that this still can’t be done in KiCad 6?

For concreteness, let me post a specific problem. Here’s a partial, unfinished schematic, taking a big bus through a hierarchical pin, and needing to connect a part of that bus to a hierarchical sheet:

The solution I have here, which appears to work, is that I don’t actually connect the buses, and then list the necessary parts of both buses as local labels, and just connect them (i.e. I could have breakouts and connecting wires, but I like this better as there’s less mess), so it looks almost like a “comment” in the bus.

But what I’d prefer is if there were a way to explicitly split a sub-bus, such that I could (for example) draw a branch (or a breakout symbol) from the bus, and then label that part “Voice.G[1…4]” or something similar. The important thing is not having to list every signal individually (imagine if it were “G[0…255]”). Is anything like that possible at the moment?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.