KiCad 6 Fails to Save to Synology NAS - Fedora 37

Fedora 37
KiCad can read and load projects from my Synology DS220j but fails when attempting to write/save with the following error messages:

04:35:46 PM: Impossible to set permissions for the file '/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=192.168.1.202,share=data/000-PROJECTS/delete_me/testing.kicad_sch' (error 95: Operation not supported)
04:35:46 PM: File '/tmp/eeschema3kJfx6' couldn't be renamed '/run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=192.168.1.202,share=data/000-PROJECTS/delete_me/testing.kicad_sch' (error 0: Success)

I can read and write LibreOffice files to the NAS from the same machine (Fedora 37).
There is a Known System Related Issue on the kicad.org site mentioning similar issues with KiCad saving to a network share but it appears to relate to KiCad 5 and was closed two years ago.

I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions.

Application: KiCad

Version: 6.0.10-2.fc37, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.1
	libcurl/7.85.0 OpenSSL/3.0.5 zlib/1.2.12 libidn2/2.3.4 nghttp2/1.51.0

Platform: Linux 6.1.8-200.fc37.x86_64 x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, cinnamon, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Jan 14 2023 00:00:00
	wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.78.0
	OCC: 7.6.3
	Curl: 7.85.0
	ngspice: 38
	Compiler: GCC 12.2.1 with C++ ABI 1017

Build settings:
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

The issue you are referring to appears to be a windows specific issue, but probably similar in nature. There is also another topic here with a samba share on a NAS, can you check the file permissions as suggested here?

This issue does appear to be related to file permissions. Iā€™m not proficient enough in Linux to understand the details yet but it does seem to be unique to KiCad.
Thank you for the additional information.

Well, itā€™s either

or

In the latter case, if gvfs is using smb to Synology which is going to be usnig sambaā€¦yea samba is a bug fest that doesnā€™t work as it should, ever. (Trying a git checkout of a large repo like linux or kicad to a samba hosted drive is a good way to test, it usually fails identically).

You are best setting up a NFS share on the NAS to avoid samba.

Do not use gnome virtual file system.
Mount the NAS using cifs what is handled in kernel directly.

sudo apt-get install cifs-utils

To mount NAS permanent, write mount in /etc/fstab.

jv@JamesWebb:/etc$ sudo mount -t cifs //10.10.20.18/data18
/media/netshare -o username=xxx,password=yyy,uid=1000,vers=2.0
jv@JamesWebb:/etc$

See also recently issue 13305 what is a known bug of gvfs

Following up on this, I finally decided to dig into the issue and, thanks to the advice received here and google searches, I think I have it resolved. Hereā€™s what I did:

I created a file in my Fedora Linux home directory with the Synology server login credentials. I named my credential file ā€œ.smbcredsā€. The file contains two lines:
username=[user]
password=[server password]

I added a /mnt/data /mnt/nas/data directory in my home directory.

I added this line in /etc/fstab:
//xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/data /home/[user]/mnt/nas/data cifs credentials=/home/[user]/.smbcreds, uid=[user]

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the local ip address of my synology server
[user]=my user name (no brackets) on the synology server
ā€˜nasā€™ is the network name of the synology server
ā€˜dataā€™ is the shared folder on the server

I can now read and write files to my Synology server using KiCad from both my Windows 10 and my Fedora 37 Linux computers.

19 APR 2023 EDIT - corrected directory name created in home directory

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.