Keep hierarchy navigator opened

Hi,

Still exploring KiCAD :slight_smile:

What do think of having the hierarchy navigator always open until user clicks on the close button ?
I find it very useful to be able to navigate from page to page without having to open the navigator every time. I’m coming from orcad and I miss this feature.

--- a/eeschema/hierarch.cpp
+++ b/eeschema/hierarch.cpp
@@ -254,7 +254,6 @@ void HIERARCHY_NAVIG_DLG::onSelectSheetPath( wxTreeEvent& event )
     wxTreeItemId ItemSel = m_Tree->GetSelection();
     m_SchFrameEditor->SetCurrentSheet(( (TreeItemData*) m_Tree->GetItemData( ItemSel ) )->m_SheetPath );
     m_SchFrameEditor->DisplayCurrentSheet();
-    Close( true );
 }
2 Likes

Compiled with the most recent master commits without issue.
Version: (5.99.0-258-gc6416066b-dirty), release build

It is indeed very helpful when flying over a hierarchical design. Especially when just a simple ESC closes the dialog, though only if the hierarchy dialog has focus.

This really should go on the dev mailing list, not on user forum.

I like the idea but maybe adding a checkbox “keep open” would be better so that users can choose if it should autoclose or not.

2 Likes

This really should go on the dev mailing list, not on user forum.

Sorry guys, I shouldn’t have posted this patch here.
I just sent a request to join the mailing list.

I like the idea but maybe adding a checkbox “keep open” would be better so that users can choose if it should autoclose or not.

I agree, it might take some more time :slight_smile: I need to understand a bit the code base first.

Franck.

It’s not “shouldn’t”, it’s just not very useful here, although there are people in this forum who can compile from source, apply patches and who follow the development actively. Sometimes you can get good feedback here for your UI or usability ideas (after all KiCad is made for end users).

1 Like

A patch by Frank released today via developers mailing list.
Full editing capabilities in eeschema with the navigator open.
Works perfectly. :+1:

1 Like

Hmmm… now to add in a request to have a graphical object that dynamically shows the hierarchy… Usually one of the last things I do when creating a hierarchical schematic is to take a screenshot of the hierarchy navigator and import it as a bitmap onto the first page to act as a table of contents for print and/or pdf output. Having it as a dynamically updating object would help me so I don’t have to remember to regenerate it if I change the hieararchy (add, remove, or shuffle) and reimport the bitmap. Or my use case is so unique that I’d be the only one to benefit… :wink:

Any chance this patch could propagate to release branch? I would also love have it stay open (instead of painfully clicking repeatedly on the “Navigate schematic hierarchy” icon), even better if one can dock it to the left or right side of the eeschema window.

This function is now present in KiCAD nigthly builds. Unfortunately, you’ll have to wait to have it released in a new version of KiCAD.

@fjullien Sounds good, will be patient then as I prefer sticking with the stable build.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.