Issue with copper area around a pad

Well, uhm, it looks nice.

But what is it?

Your earlier “Layout example” shows an L1, which suggests an inductor, while your latest and greatest screenshot shows a big fat D1 (Diode?). I’m guessing (see jmk’s previous post) it’s an smps circuit, but don’t know which, my crystal ball is out for repair. I’m also seeing some ratsnest lines north of R2. Are those the voltage divider for sensing the voltage?

I also do not understand the GND track in between the diode (inductor?) tracks. If it’s an SMPS, my guess would be this will generate noise. As far as I know it’s best to keep both wires to the inductor as close together as possible to reduce the loop area.

HI Paul, apologies. D1 is an inductor i changed the component and the new symbol/footprint had a D designator prefix for some reason, changed to L1 to avoid confusion.

Yes you are right, above R2 is the voltage divider to select the output voltage via the feeback pin.

Here is the context

Boost converter using TPS63070 chip

Webench designed circuit

Manufacturers suggested layout

My Interpretation of the layout (avoiding vias in pads)

I “had” an uninterrupted ground plane until i added this inductor as they show. In their example i can only assume they have a power and ground area on the top of the board tied back to dedicated power and ground planes on other layers at least that whats it seems to imply.

I only have signals and power on the top layer and just ground on the bottom, as such ive kept the “powerground” seperate as they have suggested on the top and then pinned it to the bottom layer ground plane by the 10 vias.

So the difference between old design and this one for my circuit is really is have i achieved these notes from the datasheet, and will it ultimately reduce noise.

Use a common ground node for power ground and a different one for control ground to minimize the effects of ground noise.

A ceramic capacitor each, as close as possible from the VIN pin to GND and one from the VOUT pin to GND, shown as C1 and C4 in the layout proposal are used to suppress high frequency noise.

use wide and short traces for the main current path and for the power ground
connection.

Edit:

Just noticed my footprint for the chip is incorrect

I do not understand the layout example from that manufacturer. As far as I know an important goal is to minimize loop area around the wires to the inductor. I would put the tracks on the top side without via’s and also put them as close to each other as possible for as long as possible, Right up to the center of L1, and then split the tracks horizontally in a T. Maybe it’s also better to remove a piece of the GND plane around the inductor, to prevent a stray field from inducing any current into the GND plane, but I am not sure if that matters.

I would add an extra GND via just north of pin 10 to the GND plane before the inductor tracks hug each other.

Put the resistors for the voltage feedback closer together so they pick up less noise. Use the courtyard as a reference of how close you can put them together.

What sort of an idiot puts stuff like this in a datasheet:

IC descriptions have been standardized on top view for 40+ years and adding the bottom view also just adds more room for confusion.

But I’m no expert in SMPS layouts

Also, do not just rely on a recommendation from a single datasheet. It’s nice to have a datasheet for reference, but I do not trust recommendations like this very much. Do some research into the direction of “hot loop” for SMPS design.

And last, if you really want to optimize for reduced noise, then consider making a few different layouts, put them all on a single PCB next to each other and test it yourself. PCB’s are cheap these days, so the main cost will be time. You can also add an LC filter at the end to filter out more noise.

I don’t know how this exact IC works (as both L ends are hidden inside it) and will not search for it, but…
In any DCDC circuit the L ends rapidly jamps against each other. Increasing capacitance between them may be not the best idea. What is needed to be minimized are difference between current loops in both DCDC working stages. I don’t know where they are here but probably C1 and C4 are in them.

This is nonsense. The inductor itself is already a coil of closely packed wire with lots of capacitance. adding a few pF on 10mm of track is negligible. As far as I know, the thing to optimize here is the open area between the tracks, because this creates a magnetic stray field. It acts as a loop antenna.

Yes, true, this is what this “hot loop” I mentioned earlier is all about. It explains in detail how the current paths change during switching of the SMPS, their influence and what to optimize for.

I won’t persist. Probably you are right.

Do you remember the following discussion:

and information written by BobZ who spend his live designing DCDC?

I learned then that part of loop containing L is not critical to be minimized and worried about. It is because current in L changes slowly (triangle shape without jumps). Critical are parts of current loops where current has jumps.

Thanks @paulvdh,

This makes me happier that i have nothing but ground on the bottom layer. I think i understood you correctly and now have this. Like you said i might run this board and test it against the one i already have and see if ive actaully made any difference… Probably add some pads for an LC filter and stop being afraid of the fear of creating instability by accident.

I always like to have only GND at bottom :slight_smile:
Two associations:

• at their pcb (and at your first) connections to L look like having high current (many vias in their picture),
  • if good/short connection between right and left part of GND at top is critical (I don’t know but their suggestion for C1,C4…) what about connecting them with 0R. It will be much shorter way than through vias (or two 0Rs paralel).

For reference, this is the output on the previous layout/design before this one.

I have just realised the the 40mv ripple is probably expected as i am running at little to no load, so the datasheet implies that at 50mv ripple is to be expected here…

Dont know what the spikes are at 720mv and embarked on this redesign on the basis that the manufacture knows best and should probably start from their recommendations before i think about the reasons behind anything further.

at their pcb (and at your first) connections to L look like having high current (many vias in their picture),

I’ve hit the limit of trace width i can bring out of the pins i think, i can try and squeeze a bit more maybe… currently at 0.25mm

what about connecting them with 0R. It will be much shorter way than through vias (or two 0Rs paralel)

.I like this idea as the whole reason for the redesign was the implied need for some separation of pwrgnd and gnd.

1 Like

I change track width on the go many times.
For example I prefer 0.25 and from 0.4 raster IC I have to go out with 0.2, but shortly I change them to 0.25 for their farther way. If I go with 1mm Vcc track to small pad I change it to narrower just before that pad to not have the track end (snapped to pad center) stick out from the other pad side.

1 Like

You will not be able to place L and 0R in the same space :frowning:

Lol i had already realized and am fixing now…

I’m not sure if this via between tracks to L is really needed as there are 3 on the other pad side.

I thought about it a bit more…
In an SMPS, the current switches from the input capacitors into the inductor, and then from the inductor to the output capacitors. As a result, there is also a lot of GND current switching between the input and the output capacitors. Also, as this is a combined buck / boost design, in boost mode there is even more GND current, as one side of the inductor is shorted to GND to “charge” it’s magnetic field.

Therefore I think it is better to put the via’s back into the tracks to the inductor and put the big bridge on the top of the PCB back. Then also remove half of the via’s in this ground bridge, and cluster the rest together. (For example 4 in a square) This will create a sort of star ground, where the via’s only carry DC current, while all the switching GND current stays on the top layer of the PCB.

Does this make sense?

It’s now also drifting quite far off topic. Some people try to limit the scope of this forum to how KiCad works only. And there are probably also better forums for SMPS layout design tips.

I think that was suggestions from @paulvdh ealrier in the thread, and actaully that is the power ground that was originally connected to the larger plane we just connected via the zero ohm resistor and i think the original reason they had the inductor tracks on the reverse side so that this plane was all connected…

I think this via is to mitigate the loss of the connection to the power gnd plane.

Fixed inductor placement … doh.

Thats fair i got my answer to how to use the copper fills and clearances.

Appreciate all the extra help/tips etc thanks @paulvdh @Piotr much appreciated.

Ill send this and a couple of previous versions for manufacture and see what i get. thanks again

You lost L connections :slight_smile: