Inverted signals

Hello!

I’m using the latest nightly build (see version below).
In the past, it was possible to invert a signal using ~, but right now I can’t do that.
Did the inversion symbol change? Used to be ~. Now if I write for instance ~S in a new
symbol, it just writes ~S, not the inverted symbol.

Thanks for any hint.

Application: KiCad

Version: 5.99.0-unknown-4acff58c7a~142~ubuntu21.10.1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.74.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1l zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 libidn2/2.3.1 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh/0.9.6/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.43.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.13.0-20-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntu, wayland

Build Info:
Date: Nov 2 2021 23:00:53
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.74.0
OCC: 7.5.2
Curl: 7.74.0
ngspice: 35
Compiler: GCC 11.2.0 with C++ ABI 1016

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

use ~{text with overbar} (you need the curly braces now).

There are a variety of other new syntax features, like superscripts and subscripts. See the “syntax help” link in the textbox for more details:

2 Likes

you need to encase it in curly brackets

start_~{middle}_end

will produce:

NOTE: i did try foo_~{bar}_baz but {bar} got replaced with | and I do not know if this is a bug or a parsing consideration

Now that is funny…

I wonder if I write foo_~{smiley}_baz I will get foo_ :upside_down_face:_baz

:crazy_face:

1 Like

I am not sure. The last time I tried to stand on my head I sprained my neck.

Don’t ask me about the time I tried to tap dance…

Sorry, I forget tap for us is faucet for you.

And where is “us”, @retiredfeline

I often wish each member had a flag, showing the country in which they reside, beside their avatar.

Prime Marketeer and Coal Fondler Land.

Ah Haa,

Another who wears socks and uses computer programmes and drives on the other side of the road. :upside_down_face:

Hello!

Thanks for the replies. I tried, it works just fine. I also noticed that a problem I was complaining about earlier has also been solved. Now the labels keep their size even when inverted, so that I can quit using the N prefix for all these labels.

1 Like

So if water comes from a tap, does beer in a pub come from a faucet? In that case, faucet dancing sounds more appropriate. See how contrarian tangential thinking can lead us off the deep end?

I support that flag idea.
Btw, in Austria (German spoken) a faucet/tap is a “Hahn” which literally translates to “rooster”. Makes no sense, not even in German.

Hello!

Indeed, it draws a pipe. Which is a bit strange since I can also enter | directly from the keyboard, even in a label.

By the way, it works even if there is no closing bracket as long as it’s the last part of the string. I don’t know if it’s intended but just in case, I prefer adding the closing bracket.

I spoke to a dev about this and it is an intentional limitation at the moment. There is a shortlist of words that cannot be used.

A tap is also called a “cock” (as in ‘the stopcock to turn off the mains water’ ) in English - which might be the root of this. Beer comes from a different type of tap - a spigot.

Translated from Finnish https://www.sgr.fi/sust/sust259/sust259_taavitsainen.pdf : “Old-fashioned firearm hahn shape resembles a head of a rooster”. (Some faucets/taps have apprently resembled that hahn.)

(EDIT: actually, reading forward, a rooster shape was used as a decoration in barrel taps.)

Hmm, how is this related to inverted signals?

1 Like

Aha, interesting.

Hmm, how is this related to inverted signals?

Not at all, completely off-topic. There was a discussion about faucets/taps and user nationality flags some 20 hrs ago which I read this morning and I decided to throw my 2 cents in as well…

Mantra: he who is dead earnest is dead already :slight_smile:

Hi,

quoted from the bug report :

The list of strings impacted includes dblquote, quote, lt, gt, backslash, slash, bar, colon, space, dollar, tab, return, brace

It may be better to prefix these special names with a special character, (for example, a character normally not allowed in a signal name).

In the C language style, we could use a leading ‘\’ , a literal ‘\’ being written as ‘\\’:

{dblquote] becomes {\dblquote}.
which would produce, respectively :
dblquote and "

Reminds me of LaTex syntax… :slight_smile:

Now, all these “special” characters (backslash, dblquote, etc…) being pure ASCII, I can’t see the necessity for this special “{xyz}” syntax.
One exception (IMHO) is the badly named “return”; which probably means “new line”.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I expect all national language keyboards / OS combination, compatible with some form of Unicode, will provide these characters.

It’s a pity yet another set of special names was defined for this. The XML character entitiy syntax could have been adopted and that would cover the entire Unicode set. Named entities like © = © and Ω = Ω could be used.