Introductory videos on simulation with ngspice in KiCad 8

I have made several introductory videos on simulation in addition to the tutorial at KiCad Eeschema as GUI for ngspice, tutorial for setting up the simulation

Basic simulation

Using an operational amplifier

Using the OPA1641 operational amplifier from TI

Optimizing a bipolar amplifier with Fourier analysis and tuner tool

Create digital devices models (74xxx series)

Models done so far are available at https://ngspice.sourceforge.io/model-parameters/74HCxxxM.7z .

More to come.

12 Likes

Just what’s needed, so I thank you and I look forward to more.

Thank you very much. Long time Kicad user, but could never wrap my head around simulations. Your videos are exactly what I needed to get started. Showing how to use the interal (kicad) models, how to get models from ngspice, and how to get models from manufactures. Your pacing is perfict and I am able to follow along in my copy of kicad 8.
Thank you gain !!

1 Like

These are fantastic, can we offer suggestions on what to simulate for your videos?

If so I would suggest a simple switch debounce RC network. Take a look at section 3.3 from the wurth support note. Wurth Support Note - Contact debounce circuit for switches

Thanks again for the content!

./TBE

2 Likes

Indeed I want to restrict this channel to usage questions on ngspice in KiCad 8. I don’t know if your example contains broadly intesting usage questions.

The main problem in the Wuerth bouncing simulation is: How to get the data of Fig. 6 into a form readable by ngspice? Does Wuerth provide such data?

1 Like

Hi @holger,

I was talking about the classic debounce circuit in figure 9. As for the values perhaps try R1=10K, R2=22K and C1=1uF. The diode is just a small signal diode. The actual bouncing is something that (as far as I know) impossible to simulate.

The point of this exercise is to simulate that there is a controlled discharge and charge of the capacitor when the switch is pressed/released. We can then measure these values (and they are different due to the different resistors) so that the simulation can give the end user an idea is how long the charge/discharge takes and is reflected at the point labelled ‘port’.

Does this make more sense now?

Thanks,

./TBE