Incorrect display of 3D models with Altium board import

In order not to create a new topic, I will describe the problem here. When importing a board from Altium, 3D models are displayed incorrectly, some of the layers of the board are displayed incorrectly when running the rules check.
Application: KiCad x64 on x64

Version: 8.0.1-rc1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.4
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 8.3.0
FontConfig 2.14.2
libcurl/8.5.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.3

Platform: Windows 10 (сборка 19045), 64-бит редакция, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Mar 4 2024 02:39:35
wxWidgets: 3.2.4 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.83.0
OCC: 7.7.1
Curl: 8.5.0-DEV
ngspice: 42
Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
Another small bug in the form of freezing of the 3D view of the board when switching from 2D to 3D

1 Like

I’d strongly encourage you to make a new topic, that sounds like an unrelated portion of the Altium importer.

1 Like

Because many of your models are named “step_temp.STEP”, KiCad treats them as the same model.

I’m not sure what do you mean.

Run a rules check after importing the board into Kikad. For example, pay attention to the top earth layer

I don’t see anything wrong. After fixing board outline, unsupported complex padstacks, pad angles, constraints, net clearances, zone parameters, there’s no errors:

Mother_Board_Ver2_RevA1.zip (1.3 MB)

This happens before saving to the kicad format. Import the board and run the check. The question is not that after the fix everything is fine, but that when you run the check, some of the polygons are rejected?

Are you talking about clearance violations like these?

(some clearance rules cannot be translated exactly/easily to KiCad, so constraints are left at some default values)

The first picture is before the scan is launched, the second after the scan is launched. No corrections were made. Pay attention to da11

What to do with 3d models? Best way to fix names?

Yes, change the names. Or file a bug report to append an unique id to the model filename.

1 Like
  1. If you have the refill zones checkbox checked or autofill enabled, of course KiCad will overwrite the imported fill.
  2. Fix clearance of netclasses and board constraints in Board setup, because it’s not trivial to translate, as I said previously.
  3. Check zone properties: the values are wrong, again because of the above.
  4. Leave only Pads in the selection filter, select all pads, and using Properties panel, set all Pad spoke angles to 90 degrees. This looks like a bug worth putting on the issue tracker.
  5. Now if you refill zones, they should be more or less correct.
  6. Also fix errors related to unsupported complex padstacks.
1 Like