"I Need a Profile Pic"

Today it struck me that my profile icon was a letter of the alphabet. There are only twenty six of them. I’d rather have something distinct.
I have a robotic arm with a breadboard connected to it on my desk so an image of a robotic arm looked like a better choice.

I’m not good at graphics so I just added a simple effect to my letter with some image manipulation program.

I can see the effect. That’s the whole point. You have a unique profile pic. Mine is nothing more than a simple screen capture. I didn’t edit it.

A lot of folks use photos, or sections cut from photos. As I recall, it took a little time with an image manipulation program to reduce the image dimensions, and the file size, so the Forum software would accept it.

Dale
P.S. - That’s me, at the grave of Dr Schmitt, inventor of the Schmitt Trigger. I’m holding the diagram for a “Thermionic Trigger Circuit”, from his original paper. I used the photo a couple incarnations ago, when I was teaching electronics and the curriculum mentioned the Schmitt trigger when we studied comparators with hysteresis.

I searched for image dimensions but couldn’t find anything.
I first chose an oscilloscope screen image but the detail was unclear so I replaced it with an image that had a clear outline.
Do you know what year Dr. Schmitt’s original paper was published? The Schmitt trigger plays an extremely important roll in digital electronics.

“A Thermionic Trigger”, Journal of Scientific Instruments, Vol 15 No 1, Jan 1938

The particular page I used for background info when I was teaching has disappeared, but there’s plenty of other places on the web where you can get biographical information, publication lists, etc.

Dr Schmitt’s professional efforts were in the field of biophysics. He seems to have done electronics mostly when he needed instrumentation, or apparatus, for his research in biophysics. The “Schmitt Trigger”, in particular, came out of research into the electrical nature of animal nervous systems, using the squid as a research platform.

His wife seems to have been no intellectual slouch, and I’m intrigued by their marriage. Throughout his career she seems to have been his research assistant, editor, ghost writer, lab manager, and occasionally a research subject. I stumbled across a few instances where students or co-workers mentioned the affection they demonstrated toward each other.

Dale

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.