How to start over in Pcbnew

I am working on my first PCB and I have started over 3 times now. Every time I create a new project because I cannot find the ‘reset’ button for Pcbnew nor can I find a way to create 2 Pcb’s based on the same schema, the button ‘new’ is just missing from the File menu.

What is the best way to generate a new/clean PCB after I made a lot of changes to the schema?

Included this picture of my current schema so you have something to laugh about :grin:

For kicad 4.x in opengl mode. (I do not know if this works in legacy canvas or in the pre 4.x kicad versions.)
If you want to start with a completely empty pcb:
(After you made a backup of course)
Make sure all layers are shown in the layers tap.
Block select everything
Press delete.
Import netlist.

This way you do not loose your design rules settings.

2 Likes

If you only want to delete all copper features. (tracks and zones) without loosing the component placement you could do the following:

hide the copper layers but show all other layers (make sure the render tab is also set correctly)
block select everything that is visible. (the footprints, edge cuts,… What ever you want to keep)
move this stuff far enough away that it is not on top of the stuff you want to delete.
Show all other layers
Block select the stuff you want delete
press delete.
Move your other stuff back to where you want it.

1 Like

[quote=“Thijs, post:1, topic:5528”]
What is the best way to generate a new/clean PCB after I made a lot of changes to the schema? [/quote]
Possibly close KiCAD, delete the *.KiCAD_PCB file from the project directory, re-open KiCAD and start PCBNew. I believe a new, blank, *.KiCAD_PCB file will be created.

It’s actually unusual to want to delete EVERYTHING from a PCB drawing. You often want to keep at least the board outline (*.Edge_Cuts layer), or the boilerplate fabrication notes, or the layer where you note the location of external mechanical interfaces (e.g., “The power switch has to go here to line up with the hole in the front panel.”).

[quote]
. . . . nor can I find a way to create 2 Pcb’s based on the same schema . . . [/quote]
To do this you almost certainly need to create two separate projects, each with it’s own copy of the schematic (and, therefore, subject to problems keeping the two copies synchronized, etc.) You may save a little effort by creating the second project, then copying and moving files into it from the first project, and re-naming those files with the second project’s name. Yeah, kind of clunky.

As of now there is nothing like a “Clone Project” command in KiCAD. This feature would be useful not only for the situation you mentioned, but also when creating a new revision of an existing design.

[quote]
. . . . Included this picture of my current schema so you have something to laugh about . . . [/quote]
I don’t see anything to laugh at. It looks like a basic break-out board for a microcontroller. Is the symbol for U2 from a standard KiCAD library, or did you draft that yourself? If it’s a standard symbol, you can congratulate yourself for navigating KiCAD’s clumsy library system. If you drew it yourself, you should be especially proud - you’re probably more capable than half to three-quarters of the users with your level of experience.

1 Like

I suggest using Edit->Global Deletions in pcbnew is a better way to do global deletes, then you can select which elements to delete.

My normal process to redo layout is::

1. Global Delete (tracks, zones, All Layers)
  2. Tools->Netlist
  • Exchange Footprint = Change
  • Extra footprints = Delete
3 Likes