How to "fork" hierarchical sheet

I have a hierarchical sheet in my design that I want to fork. That is, I want to create a copy of it, then modify the copy such that I have two different modules with the same base.

I tried just copy-pasting the block, then modifying the sheetname and sheetfile of the forked version. However, I noticed that editing one file still edits the other file. I checked the source code for each file, and noticed that they still have the same UUID.

What is the proper way to fork a sheet? Can I generate a new UUID and add it to one of the files or will this cause problems?

Related, but didn’t solve my problem: How to make hierarchical sheets independant?

Two other options:

1. create a new hierarchical sheet with a new filename and copy the old sheets content over to the new generated sheet. This will generate a completely new file with new UUID on save.
  2. manually copy and rename the sheetfile, then generating a new hierarchical sheet and pointing it to the copied file.

But I am a bit confused your approach didn’t worked as on save the changed file should get a new UUID, at least this was the behavior for me in v6.

Thanks for the answer. That’s weird. I’m using v7. I manually updated the UUID to a new one I just generated, and things seem to be working as expected.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.