How to add transistor 2N2222 in library kicad?

Good morning everybody I 'm a new user Kicad. Y’m from Belgium and I speek French. My english is not good :wink: How to add transistor 2N2222 in library kicad 6 for draw diagram?
Thanks

Just use one of the generic BJT symbols and change the symbol value to 2N2222 in your schematic. The footprint will depend on the package type, I guess TO-92 for this model. Make sure you use the footprint with the correct pin ordering.

1 Like

Note that if you’re using a TO-92 part, as a PN2222A is already in the library
Otherwise, the old fashioned TO-18 (metal can) 2N2222A can be obtained from another similar NPN, like a BC108

1 Like

Don’t you know that Europeans are supposed to use a BC547 as general purpose NPN transistor?
That one’s been in over half the schematics ever since I started with electronics.

But it’s easy to just use a generic transistor (or even a BC547) and then set the “value field” to 2n2222.
Do beware though of retiredfeline’s remark when matching the schematic symbol with a footprint. The 2n2222 is one of those transistors that come in different pinouts.

Source: 2N2222 - Wikipedia

And Imattcrisg’s remark… If you simply search for “2222”, then KiCad finds 6 different variants, including some very small dual transistors.

2 Likes

Thank you very mutch everybody probel solved

2 Likes

@paulvdh Maybe an original design was already using a 2N2222, as seeing it in use with its metal can, nowadays, well… sounds a bit of an old-timer.
Given the higher Ic, the more similar (and still in use) workhorses can be BC337 for PTH, otherwise a common BC817 :man_shrugging:

I haven’t bought any general purpose transistors in ages. I just look at the required specs (e.g. polarity, gain, frequency, max voltage) and pick something out of my junkspares containers with lots of labelled transistors liberatedrepurposed from old equipment. :wink:

In the USA I would choose 2N4401 for a TO92 near-equivalent of 2N2222. Note that “real” 2N2222 is in TO18 metal can and is not in TO92. I would not use 2N2222 in TO18 metal can unless I had them in my own stock or if some customer required it. If I am designing a pcb, I would look at using MMBT4401 in SOT23 or MMBT4401W in SOT323 (if power rating is adequate.)

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/nte-electronics-inc/2N2222A/11645497

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/onsemi/2N4401RLRAG/918212

Correct.
I have a paper bag containing some 200 of these items. Motorola branded. I’m guessing the packaging (paper bag) predates the invention of the plastic bag. My storage techniques obviously work as the cases still show no signs of rust. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: I also have a pile of TO5 cased transistors and TO72s (BRY39s mainly with a sprinkling of RF types) and I doubt I could count the number of TO3s, even some Germanium stuff… quite a collection of museum pieces have I!
And I mustn’t forget my collection of 2N2646s.

A bunch of 2N3442 transistors in TO-3 were a big prize to scavenge from old equipment when I was young (30+ years ago) I have about 30 of them and never used any of them in another project.

I also have desoldered small signal transistors back then, but nowaday’s I just rater buy a meter of tape with some 100 transistors and have nice long legs for use in breadboards (Do not pull them out of the paper tape,(it leaves glue on the pins) but instead cut them off (with normal household scissors) or one of those 600 transistor boxes from Ali, which are nice for hobbyists and occasional projects.

Lately those “SMD books” from Ali have become my favourite. All kinds of stuff (resistors, capacitors, transistors, voltage regulators, LED’s, Zeners) and in different sizes.

I remember cleaning the glue off with paint thinners… Oh the memories!

I keep threatening to find a project to use some of this old stuff. I still have some old, dark brown, single sided phenolic board on which to place those parts.

If anyone has a bunch of 3-1000Z do not throw them away. They are pricey devils.

Hint: I would not expect to see them on tape and reel.

Haven’t you got the latest memo?

Light bulbs are out of fashion.

Few years ago i throw out all my old transistors (BC107, BC108, BC109, and many, many others …) to make a room for some new elements I have bought for experiments.
As a child I made 6 matchbox cabinets (9 rows x 8 columns) to store my elements and I still use them (resistors cabinet starts from 10,12,15,18,… and ends with 8.2M). Now we have electric oven so I don’t use matches, and even I was using I will not spend a time on gluing these boxes.
I have never searched, but I suppose it is quite difficult to find a container with this number of compartments, occupying only so much space and with the ability to easily describe each compartment.

@jmk in a small drawer I still have a few OC75 and AC117, just go figure. And thinking well I should also have there a complementary couple of power ASZ16/ASZ17 and an AD142.
Their datasheets should originally be pictured in a cave somewhere

And now that I think of it, back from the '80s (when they were already old parts) there should also be a handful of uA725 in a metal can, military-grade

I feel frighteningly at home in this discussion :rofl: Maybe KiCad needs a vintage forum or at least a vintage post thats only open to people owning at least 10 metal can semiconductors …

2 Likes

And maybe a couple of glass ones too. I once used an OC71 with the black paint scraped off to trigger a SCR to fire a secondary xenon flash gun.

@retiredfeline That was my purpose in the 80s, it was fun using them in photovoltaic mode as photocells :grinning:
I’ve seen once someone reporting to have done something similar opening the can of a 2N3055 in TO3.

@chris9 I’m in that group :sweat_smile:

I keep my components in plastic bags. I generally have medium sized bags in large bags, and sometimes small bags in medium bags in large bags. The large bags are either hanging from the attic rafters or are in cardboard boxes on shelves. The components are mostly on cut tape in bags.

About 10 years ago I was working in a lab where many components were kept in drawers. Instead of putting cut pieces of tape in the drawers, many drawer portions had 100’s (maybe 1000?) 0603 or 0805 chips kept loose in the drawer. You can imagine what happened when someone fumbled a component drawer. The parts scattered all over the floor; mostly to be swept up into the garbage bin.

In my opinion, the drawer at its best might be faster to find what you want than my method of bags in bags. But even if you keep the parts on small pieces of tape, I think there is more opportunity to inadvertently dump parts all over the floor. Or if the parts are loose in sections, it is easy to mix up some components by fumbling just a few. Also I think that the drawers take up more space. Also the drawers have a tendency to jam when an area is too full or if some contents otherwise protrude too high. Mishaps also happen with the bags…mostly the old ones fall apart. But I think there is less to go wrong with the bags, even if the zippers do not work. I can always replace a bag or use a paper clip to keep it closed.

What about metal stud type rectifiers?

I cannot even find uA725 at Mouser or Digikey.