How to add crossover or hop over at wire junction?

Why is this option not available?

There have been long threads about this before: Junction Dots and hop-overs. Comparison of programs and links there to older threads.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply, I have read about it, but no solutions.
I don’t like how the wires are crossing over the junction, it seems to me naturally they are connected.

I don’t understand how one would be so challenged with the difference from a “crossover” and a “dot”.
They need to stop using the 1990’s CRT monitor and use a widescreen LCD QuadHD or 4K monitor or get new pair of eyes.

You could upvote that Gitlab issue and comment if you feel strongly about it.

Would do that, Thanks.

IMHO Hop or jumps needlessly make the schematic more busy than needed. Following lines gets to be more of a problem.
And while not much of a issue today, It used to be some schematics would be Xerox’d many times making the “dots” fall into the multi generation copy spots.

Its not a federal law or anything but when drawing a schematics one should never make a connection where wires cross. Something like this:

In the above, even if the dots were omitted the connections would still be obvious.

The military and many companies have made this a requirement for their documentation.

9 Likes

In the link that retiredfeline dug up I spend quite some time to do some research what other programs do, and NONE of the 23 programs I found used these parasitic inductors to jump over wires.

I guess this issue is so persistent because this style is relatively often used in books and other “teaching materials” and thus new students get used to it.
So regardless of your personal preferences, crossing wires that do not connect on themselves is so common that you will get confronted by them.

So think of it as follows:
If you have some wires laying on your desk, they do not short circuit, even if they cross each other. To make a connection you have to add a solder blob to the place where the wires cross each other.

Hello,

I dont like the look but what you are showing is indeed a good idea. I started with hand drawn circuits and there a 1-winding-inductor :laughing: or a simple break is quicker than a dot. But in EDA the dot is for free and copying paper sheets is not really useful if you can generate as much “originals” as you like.

What I want to say is: I like the old wire jumps but I agree they are obsolete and breaks are obviously intolerable for a CAD program :upside_down_face:

Maybe the option to enlarge the dots or even offer different dots is the answer ?
In the future I will possibly stick to your proposal …

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand correctly, but to me that sounds like a proposal to introduce an option that already exists (at least in KiCad V5).

1 Like

Eeschema / Preferences / Preferences / Eeschema / Display Options / Dimensions / Junction Size / 300

4 Likes

That may be true ! I havent done a PCB for some time now and I have no problem with KiCads defaults.
However, alternative crossing points may give users the illusion of loops and breaks …

If you think this would be useless effort - you are right.

The benefit of the concept shown above is the dots are superfluous. Even with no dots the idea of a connection when lines are not crossed is obvious.

2 Likes

Not the only benefit when printed on paper that gets handeld often.

@JohnRob Glad to see that I’m finally not the only to voice opposition to the presence of a junction dot on any schematic.

1 Like

True, but an old dog like me will never get used to that :wink:

1 Like

It is easier to draw a blob than deal with an arch so I get why kicad does this and why is has been the defacto standard for quite some time across many eCAD tools.

Both Visio and Simulink use arches and damn do both screw this up painfully more often than not “what if there is more than one wire to hop, what if there is a right-angle at the hop, what if the hoop collides with another visual element” …

1 Like

I’m afraid to even try to imagine what the screenshot below would look like if I even tried to use “hop overs” or offset connections without junction dots.

4 Likes

It would look just fine.

1 Like

So every pin on J2 (bottom) is connected to all 14 pins on J1 (left), all 14 series resistors, and all 14 capacitors?

1 Like

Dots on for clarity of connection rules (does not provide any extra clarity to me):

ON EDIT: Superfluous dots “on” to show junction rules.

I’ll bet you will. I would guess if given a schematic drawn the no cross connection method you would pick it up like you’ve been doing it for years.