How print PCB layout for etching pattern?

I want to export my PCB layout to ordinary file, export to modify the layout in CorelDraw. Then print it on a transfer glossy paper, you know and then etching.
I started once with version 6. No problems to export to file SVG everything works fine. In 7 there was problems with no drill holes.
Now i 8 only one black rectangle.
In version 7 I had to use ordinary print and choose the PDF Adobe printer, made with Adobe print utility. Works fine but seems strange to use outside software to get a nice export.
In 8 plot to PDF I don’t get the Edge.Cuts.

How to get a nice export file to import in standard software, CorelDraw?

It seems that it going in wrong direction for this software :frowning:

You can print straight from Kicad.

Tick the Kicad “Print” icon then fill in everything with a red arrow shown below.

Press print again and this will take you to your printer setup.
Check printer “preview” to confirm everything is go, then print.

If you want a negative version, go through the same routine, but this time with the Plotter instead of the printer. The Plotter also has a negative version.

Thank you for fast response :slight_smile:
This works nice if you want to print to a paper.
I want to export to a file so I can import the file to Corel draw.

I don’t know Corel, but you will need to “File > Export” and use a similar routine of ticking the boxes in the window displayed by Kicad.

You get a better result for using Corel to print,asking just out of curiosity?

I cant use File > Export as I wrote in the beginning.
Because I make my own prints it’s really nice to use Corel. Then you easy can make curved shapes, place components exactly in the way you want.
I do a lot of high end amplifiers and the you can’t use ordinary 45 degrees lines, you need to make everything smooth.

I use KiCad to have everything arranged in an easy way. You also have control over the connections between the components.
I think it’s easier to handle the print pattern in Corel when you are going to put it on the glossy paper for transfer to the copper :slight_smile:

You are welcome if you want more information about the process.

I wonder if a “Print to PDF” would work? Built into Windows, I don’t know what OS you are using.

There are technical reasons behind it or only artistic once?
In KiCad since V6 or V7 you can route tracks with rounded corners. There is a hotkey to change corner style, but I don’t have KiCad here to find which one.

1 Like

If that is so, then it is probably a bug that should be reported.
I just did: PCB Editor / File / Export / SVG and it exports a copper layer without problems. It also puts Edge.Cuts and the paper outline in the file.

When using PCB Editor / File / Fabrication Outputs / Gerbers / Plot Format: SVG I also get the expected result. When doing it this way, each file has the same info you would expect in gerber files.

Gosh, I never guessed that audiophools have degenerated to that level, but I guess you do what helps you to buy sandwitches. Are you aware of the “Round Tracks” plugin from Mitxela? Yesterday I also mentioned it in:

Application: KiCad PCB Editor x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 8.0.1-8.0.1-0~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.2
	FreeType 2.10.1
	HarfBuzz 2.6.4
	FontConfig 2.13.1
	libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux Mint 20.3, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, X11, xfce, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Mar 14 2024 15:11:44
	wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.71.0
	OCC: 7.6.3
	Curl: 7.68.0
	ngspice: 42
	Compiler: GCC 9.4.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:

1 Like

I think OP needs to have drill positioning holes in copper and they are not in gerbers output, I think.

For me surprising is (what comes from this thread) that home made PCB is seen as being better than manufactured professionally.

Please can you guide me to get the SVG file correct out.
Kicad 8.0.1 Windows 10, 64bit Pro.
I tried the plug in for filled polygons but when exported there was no fill in them, if I remeber right. It was also complicated to get the right shape.
I also tried the curvtool for the tracks between components with no luck.
Fastes to get the right look is to import the layout in corel. Unfortunately you miss the Gerber then but thath doesn’t matter when you do the prints yourself.
Don’t need soldermasks. Stady hand to apply solder.
If you like good sound over the usual then you need to make good layout for the PCB :slight_smile:
As I wrote in the beginning I use PDF file now but it’s generated by an external software, Adobe printer.

I’m still in V7.
For making my documentation files I export courtyard and copper layers as SVG. Then I import copper in inkscape, change its color to light gray and on this background I load courtyard picture.
I have never noticed copper layers being in any way corrupted, but I didn’t tried V8 yet. I typically skip X.0.0, X.0.1 and may be X.0.2 when version X is released.

FYI - I didn’t spend the time to dial-in same geometry but, this should give you example of using Kicad’s ‘Fillet’ feature.

Shows some aspects of needing to set the Fillet-Radius to a value that can be filleted for specific geometry…

Piotr
I think you.also use Linux?
All the other moments you describe it’s to much for me. Everything was workking nice in 6.

PDF and SVG with Drill-Holes…

BlackCoffee
I really appreciate your video and engagement in my process. As I said before, it doesn’t work realy good. In Corel it’s half the time and with perfect control.

As my questions was in the beginning, export SVG who was working in version 6.

I give up and.pleased with my print Adobe plug in for PDF.

Thank you for all support around my export problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

No. I have never even tried using Linux.
I have written that I have no KiCad here. It is because I write from Win7 PC and KiCad since V6 needs Win10. If I were using Linux I would have KiCad here.

I can’t say anything about it as I have never used Print but always Export to SVG.

Piotr
Sorry I was looking wrong. I think Paulvdh use Linux.
Anyway no solution.

Have a nice day :slight_smile:

I am not sure I understand your problem, I opened a demo board from KiCAD and then in the pcb editor I did File->Export->SVG

And I opened one of the resulting files in Inkscape, it looks fine to me, is this not what you expect/obtain ?

I am attaching the resulting files in case you want to try them out.
sonde xilinx-B_Cu
sonde xilinx-B_Silkscreen
sonde xilinx-Edge_Cuts
sonde xilinx-F_Cu
sonde xilinx-F_Silkscreen

Application: KiCad PCB Editor x64 on x64

Version: 8.0.0, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.4
	FreeType 2.12.1
	HarfBuzz 8.3.0
	FontConfig 2.14.2
	libcurl/8.5.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.3

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19045), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
	Date: Feb 23 2024 02:24:15
	wxWidgets: 3.2.4 (wchar_t,wx containers)
	Boost: 1.83.0
	OCC: 7.7.1
	Curl: 8.5.0-DEV
	ngspice: 42
	Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Build settings:

I hope this helps

EDIT: You can also use Plot->SVG

sonde xilinx-bottom_copper

In this version you don’t get the nice hole on the THT pads, maybe that is what you mean ?

Der.ule
Thank you so much for.your work!
Exactly what I want, the first.pictures but don’t get.
What is the version there? In 6 everything worked.

Then in version 7 i didn’t get the drillholes.

End then in 8.0.1 all is black.

I do exactly as you to.get SVG file.
Strange.

I am using v8.0 in Windows and everything just works, look at my screenshot to see which options did I used. v8.0.2 should be coming out soon, maybe give it a try and if still doesn’t work do please file a bug report.